Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

GSS Initiate failed even with a valid kerberos service ticket.

Rising Star

I am launching hbase (1.1.2) on a kerberized cluster (AD). Hbase region server fails to connect to master with following error:

2017-01-20 18:17:23,944 WARN  [regionserver/a1.example.com/xxxxx] regionserver.HRegionServer: error telling master we are up
com.google.protobuf.ServiceException: java.io.IOException: Couldn't setup connection for srvuser/a1.example.com@ADC.EXAMPLE.COM to srvuser/a2.example.com@ADC.EXAMPLE.COM
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.AbstractRpcClient.callBlockingMethod(AbstractRpcClient.java:223)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.AbstractRpcClient$BlockingRpcChannelImplementation.callBlockingMethod(AbstractRpcClient.java:287)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.protobuf.generated.RegionServerStatusProtos$RegionServerStatusService$BlockingStub.regionServerStartup(RegionServerStatusProtos.java:8982)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.reportForDuty(HRegionServer.java:2270)

Caused by: org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException(javax.security.sasl.SaslException): GSS initiate failed
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.security.HBaseSaslRpcClient.readStatus(HBaseSaslRpcClient.java:153)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.security.HBaseSaslRpcClient.saslConnect(HBaseSaslRpcClient.java:189)

I turned ON detailed debug logs for kerberos as well as Hbase. I can see that the service ticket is successfully obtained by host a1 for a2:

Found ticket for srvuser/a1.example.com@ADC.EXAMPLE.COM to go to krbtgt/ADC.EXAMPLE.COM@ADC.EXAMPLE.COM expiring on Sat Jan 21 04:17:10 PST 2017

Found ticket for srvuser/a1.example.com@ADC.EXAMPLE.COM to go to srvuser/a2.example.com@ADC.EXAMPLE.COM expiring on Sat Jan 21 04:17:10 PST 2017

Client Principal = srvuser/a1.example.com@ADC.EXAMPLE.COM

Server Principal = srvuser/a2.example.com@ADC.EXAMPLE.COM Session Key = EncryptionKey: keyType=23 keyBytes

I do not see any errors post the above lines in detailed kerberos level logs so I assume that the problem of GSS Initiate failed has not anything to do with kerberos now else I would have seen some error reported (such as say ticket being corrupted?)

I notice that GSS Initiate failed message without any details reported is specified by experts as one of the most useless messages - Steve's error messages to fear.

Already verified unlimited JCE policy files are present, and that both hosts are using the same encryption algorithm. Can anyone help here? Even if it is about what next steps I can take to debug this?

Thank you!

12 REPLIES 12

Super Guru

Nothing jumped out at me from your logs. Sorry I can't be of help with the information you provided. You should consider exercising your HDP support contract if you need more help.

Rising Star

Sure Josh, thanks a lot for taking time to look at these logs.

Master Guru