Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Getting aconnection timeout error while running simple hive script

Hi - I'm getting the below error when trying to run simple hive query to fetch 100 rows from a table. Error : Hive Internal Error: com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException(java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out) Please help me out to resolve this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This issue is now fixed.I imported the sandbox image again which resolved the error.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Master Mentor
@Pradeep Ravi

It will be helpful if you can provide more details about your environment.

java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out (Looks like that you are not connected to hive or connection is not successful)

I am using HDP 2.3 Sandbox.I am getting this error when I run query from Ambari - Hive web interface.

I am not sure what is causing this issue but whenever I get this I used to import the untouched sandbox image again but it is not the optimized solution.

Master Guru

@Pradeep Ravi

Have you tried running the script via beeline or hive command line? Have you checked if hive server, hive server 2, and Atlas are up and running? Maybe it would be easier to ask what services are not running on your sandbox..

If you are able to run the scripts (if long script use the -e option) via command line we can then possibly isolate this issue to ambari view.

All the services(hive server and Atlas were up and running).I don't see any single service were down during the error.

I was trying with hive command line as well as with Hive web UI(error occurred at both the case).If you'd describe what is -e option, I can give a try.

Note:Now this issue got fixed after I reloaded/imported the fresh sandbox image.

Master Mentor

@Pradeep Ravi are you still having issues with this? Can you accept best answer or provide your own solution?

This issue is now fixed.I imported the sandbox image again which resolved the error.