Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Getting many critical alerts on macOs Big Sur 11.6 + hdp 2.6.5 / 3.0.1

Explorer

I am unable to get sandbox to work without problems on my mac. I have limited memory 8 GB therefore, I installed 2.6.5 which I think may require less than the 10 GB required by 3.0.1. After I install and run the vbox .ova file, I get the url which I use to connect to Ambari dashboard.

localhost-urls.png

No matter what I do, I always end up with a dashboard full of red flags, and most of the services won't work. For some reason, I keep getting 502 Bad Gateway for 5-10 minutes when I try to connect to the url above, followed by the dashboard which is clearly full of issues as shown below:

db1.png
Let's say I want to access hive view:
hive-view.png
This is what I actually get:
actual-hive.png

So, I tried appending the following to /private/etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com

but the problem persists and I am unable to determine what causes this weird behavior since there are too many problems.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @xyz123 

It may be true that the HDP 2.6.5 sandbox requires less than the 10 GB required by 3.0.1, but that does not mean that you'll be able to get everything working on a Mac with 8 GB RAM using on VirtualBox. IIRC, you'll still need to allocate 8 GB RAM to the virtual machine, and if that is not possible on a Big Sur-running Mac with 8 GB RAM total, then you are going to have to do without some services (at a minimum; it still may not be possible with the RAM available). Some of the services you describe when you say you "end up with a dashboard full of red flags", simply don't start by default when running in a memory-deficient environment. 

if you're looking for pointers on troubleshooting the HDP Sandbox, I strongly recommend closely reading the tutorial Learning the Ropes of the HDP Sandbox

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hello @xyz123 

It may be true that the HDP 2.6.5 sandbox requires less than the 10 GB required by 3.0.1, but that does not mean that you'll be able to get everything working on a Mac with 8 GB RAM using on VirtualBox. IIRC, you'll still need to allocate 8 GB RAM to the virtual machine, and if that is not possible on a Big Sur-running Mac with 8 GB RAM total, then you are going to have to do without some services (at a minimum; it still may not be possible with the RAM available). Some of the services you describe when you say you "end up with a dashboard full of red flags", simply don't start by default when running in a memory-deficient environment. 

if you're looking for pointers on troubleshooting the HDP Sandbox, I strongly recommend closely reading the tutorial Learning the Ropes of the HDP Sandbox

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.