Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HBASE Table not accessible after changing TTL

Hi,

I've an issue where an HBase table isn't accessible after changing TTL. A scan and select shows 0 rows in the table, however i can still see the table size (in apps/hbase/*).

Any insight will be certainly appreciated.

Thank you,

5 REPLIES 5

Contributor

Hi Kashif

Can you please login to Hbase UI and check if the table shows up there. If yes, can you mention the table Description here.

Also, what command did you used to changed the TTL?

Hi Saurabh,

Yes. I can see the table in Hbase UI. Moreover, the description is as follows. Lastly, i used the below command to change it.

Description:

'Tab_Details', {TABLE_ATTRIBUTES => {coprocessor$1 => '|org.apache.phoenix.coprocessor.ScanRegionObserver|805306366|', coprocessor$2 => '|org.apache.phoenix.coprocessor.UngroupedAggregateRegionObserver|805306366|', coprocessor$3 => '|org.apache.phoenix.coprocessor.GroupedAggregateRegionObserver|805306366|', coprocessor$4 => '|org.apache.phoenix.coprocessor.ServerCachingEndpointImpl|805306366|', coprocessor$5 => '|org.apache.phoenix.hbase.index.Indexer|805306366|org.apache.hadoop.hbase.index.codec.class=org.apache.phoenix.index.PhoenixIndexCodec,index.builder=org.apache.phoenix.index.PhoenixIndexBuilder'}, {NAME => '0', DATA_BLOCK_ENCODING => 'FAST_DIFF', TTL => '86400 SECONDS (1 DAY)'}

Command:

alter ‘tableName′, NAME => ‘cfname′, TTL => 20

Expert Contributor

if you set TTL to 20(seconds) then that may be the reason.

Contributor

I don't think the changes has reflected. If you see the table description TTL => '86400 SECONDS (1 DAY).

@Kashif Amir does your problem still exists?

@Kashif Amir

TTL has been changed to 20 seconds and post 20 seconds your data will be expired. The space in HDFS will not be reclaimed yet. Once you run the major compaction on that table you should be able to reclaim the space on hdfs.