Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HBase Row Level Filtering

What are the options for Row Level filtering in HBase?

I am aware that Ranger 0.6 has this capability for Hive but I wasn't sure what is the best option for doing it in HBase.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Andrew Watson

You can set cell level acls via the HBase shell or via HBase's Java API. This type of policy is not exposed or controlled via Ranger.

If possible, I would implement row level policies in a client-side application, as HBase's cell ACLs are expensive (additional metadata must be stored and read with every cell).

My favorite solution is to create a Phoenix View that exposes only specific rows. As noted above, your client-side app would have to decide whether to allow access to a given view.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@Andrew Watson

You can set cell level acls via the HBase shell or via HBase's Java API. This type of policy is not exposed or controlled via Ranger.

If possible, I would implement row level policies in a client-side application, as HBase's cell ACLs are expensive (additional metadata must be stored and read with every cell).

My favorite solution is to create a Phoenix View that exposes only specific rows. As noted above, your client-side app would have to decide whether to allow access to a given view.