Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

HBase Row Level Filtering

What are the options for Row Level filtering in HBase?

I am aware that Ranger 0.6 has this capability for Hive but I wasn't sure what is the best option for doing it in HBase.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Andrew Watson

You can set cell level acls via the HBase shell or via HBase's Java API. This type of policy is not exposed or controlled via Ranger.

If possible, I would implement row level policies in a client-side application, as HBase's cell ACLs are expensive (additional metadata must be stored and read with every cell).

My favorite solution is to create a Phoenix View that exposes only specific rows. As noted above, your client-side app would have to decide whether to allow access to a given view.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@Andrew Watson

You can set cell level acls via the HBase shell or via HBase's Java API. This type of policy is not exposed or controlled via Ranger.

If possible, I would implement row level policies in a client-side application, as HBase's cell ACLs are expensive (additional metadata must be stored and read with every cell).

My favorite solution is to create a Phoenix View that exposes only specific rows. As noted above, your client-side app would have to decide whether to allow access to a given view.