Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HBase: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread

Explorer

I've set up a HBase cluster using ambari. However my hbase client throws the below error.

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RpcRetryingCaller.callWithoutRetries(RpcRetryingCaller.java:208) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ClientScanner.call(ClientScanner.java:326) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ClientScanner.nextScanner(ClientScanner.java:301) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ClientScanner.initializeScannerInConstruction(ClientScanner.java:166) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ClientScanner.<init>(ClientScanner.java:161) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HTable.getScanner(HTable.java:794) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.MetaScanner.metaScan(MetaScanner.java:193) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.MetaScanner.metaScan(MetaScanner.java:89) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.MetaScanner.listTableRegionLocations(MetaScanner.java:343) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HRegionLocator.listRegionLocations(HRegionLocator.java:142) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HRegionLocator.getStartEndKeys(HRegionLocator.java:118) at org.wso2.carbon.analytics.datasource.hbase.HBaseAnalyticsRecordStore.computeRegionSplits(HBaseAnalyticsRecordStore.java:371) at org.wso2.carbon.analytics.datasource.hbase.HBaseAnalyticsRecordStore.get(HBaseAnalyticsRecordStore.java:304) at org.wso2.carbon.analytics.dataservice.core.indexing.StagingIndexDataStore.loadEntries(StagingIndexDataStore.java:113) at org.wso2.carbon.analytics.dataservice.core.indexing.IndexNodeCoordinator$StagingDataIndexWorker.run(IndexNodeCoordinator.java:994) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread at java.lang.Thread.start0(Native Method) at java.lang.Thread.start(Thread.java:717) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.addWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:950) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.execute(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1357) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ResultBoundedCompletionService.submit(ResultBoundedCompletionService.java:146) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ScannerCallableWithReplicas.addCallsForCurrentReplica(ScannerCallableWithReplicas.java:283) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ScannerCallableWithReplicas.call(ScannerCallableWithReplicas.java:170) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ScannerCallableWithReplicas.call(ScannerCallableWithReplicas.java:60) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RpcRetryingCaller.callWithoutRetries(RpcRetryingCaller.java:200)

Ambari shows the below configs:

hdfs_user_nofile_limit 128000

hdfs_user_nproc_limit 65536

hbase_user_nofile_limit 32000

hbase_user_nproc_limit 16000

mapred_user_nofile_limit 32768

mapred_user_nproc_limit 65536

And in the /etc/security/limits.conf I set below values:

* soft nofile 4096

* hard nofile 128000

* soft nproc 20000

* hard nproc 65536

What could be the reason for this error? Should I increase the hbase_user_nofile_limit value further?

7 REPLIES 7

Master Mentor

@Thanuja Kularathna

What are your memory settings for hbase? they seem too low.

Can you give the settings for Ambari UI--->Hbase--->Configs--->settings-

HBase RegionServer
HBase Master Max.Server

Cheers

Explorer

The Cluster has 16GB servers and these are the current memory settings.

HBase Master Maximum Memory 1G

HBase RegionServer Maximum Memory 2G

RegionServers maximum value for -Xmn 4000MB

RegionServers -Xmn in -Xmx ratio 0.2

Do you think the RegionServers maximum value for -Xmn and RegionServers -Xmn in -Xmx ratio should also be changed?

Super Guru

You likely need to increase the number of open files past 4K. This is a client application -- the limits on the server processes are not relevant in this case.

You need to ensure that the user running your client application has sufficient resources to run.

Expert Contributor
@Thanuja Kularathna

the error you have given shows:

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread

it looks the region server is not having the enough memory to startup the service, you can check for both HBase Master and region servers heap space's from Ambari --> HBase --> Configs --> Settings you can start with as low as 2GB. You can check for the GC (Garbage Collector) logs for memory allocation failures.

Explorer

I checked the GC logs and it seems the young gen size has the problem.

2017-08-11T09:27:53.681+0530: 5383.060: [GC (Allocation Failure) 2017-08-11T09:27:53.682+0530: 5383.061: [ParNew: 71464K->3524K(77440K), 0.0072992 secs] 85111K->17172K(249472K), 0.0076683 secs] [Times: user=0.03 sys=0.00, real=0.01 secs]

These were my memory settings:

HBase Master Maximum Memory 1G

HBase RegionServer Maximum Memory 2G

RegionServers maximum value for -Xmn 4000MB

RegionServers -Xmn in -Xmx ratio 0.2

I updated HBase Master Maximum Memory to 4G and HBase RegionServer Maximum Memory to 6G, but the problem still exists. Should I increase the RegionServers maximum value for -Xmn and RegionServers -Xmn in -Xmx ratio as well?

These are 16GB servers BTW.

Explorer

The issue was fixed after I set higher value in the /etc/security/limits.conf file. Below are the new values.

* soft nofile 4096

* hard nofile 128000

hdfs hard nofile 128000

hbase hard nofile 128000

mapred hard nofile 32768

* soft nproc 20000

* hard nproc 65536

hdfs soft/hard nproc 65536

hbase soft/hard nproc 65536

mapred soft/hard nproc 65536

Master Mentor

@Thanuja Kularathna

Good to know ..YES the problem was memory allocation.

So you can now close the thread by rewarding the best answer