Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HBase shell throws exception at startup

Expert Contributor

I added an edge node to our cluster and am running into problems with hbase shell:

[hirschs@bigfoot5 ~]$ hbase shell
SLF4J: Class path contains multiple SLF4J bindings.
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/usr/hdp/2.3.2.0-2950/hadoop/lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.7.10.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/usr/hdp/2.3.2.0-2950/zookeeper/lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.6.1.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#multiple_bindings for an explanation.
SLF4J: Actual binding is of type [org.slf4j.impl.Log4jLoggerFactory]
NativeException: java.io.IOException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
  initialize at /usr/hdp/2.3.2.0-2950/hbase/lib/ruby/hbase/hbase.rb:42
      (root) at /usr/hdp/2.3.2.0-2950/hbase/bin/hirb.rb:131

This works properly from the ambari server machine, but I'd like to move users off to a separate box. It appears that something may have been overlooked when I used ambari to setup the client-only machine, but what?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

One of our users pointed out that Phoenix was not installed on the new client. For whatever reason, it was never presented as an option in Ambari. I had installed it manually on the six other cluster machines and forgot to do this on the new one. After pulling it down with yum, everything started cooperating.

The error reporting from jruby is not particularly helpful. Hopefully this will be addressed at some point in the future?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Explorer

User running hbase shell should have full access to /tmp directory

Master Mentor
@Steven Hirsch

Have you installed all the client tools in edge node?

Please see this http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31230687/not-able-to-start-hbase-shell-in-standalone-mode

Java version mismatch

Master Mentor

2081-screen-shot-2016-02-11-at-65543-pm.png

Java version

Expert Contributor

One of our users pointed out that Phoenix was not installed on the new client. For whatever reason, it was never presented as an option in Ambari. I had installed it manually on the six other cluster machines and forgot to do this on the new one. After pulling it down with yum, everything started cooperating.

The error reporting from jruby is not particularly helpful. Hopefully this will be addressed at some point in the future?

Master Mentor
@Steven Hirsch

Thanks for the final followup. FYI: I believe phoenix installation ended up installing some other packages that needed for HBASE shell.

Expert Contributor

I wanted to post a quick followup on this thread. We recently found ourselves in a situation where we needed to deploy the hbase client code on an arbitrary number of machines and did not want the overhead of using Ambari. It was very straightforward to setup the Hortonworks repository reference and pull down hbase, however even after adding Phoenix the hbase shell would fail at startup with the dreaded (and spectacularly uninformative) exception:

NativeException: java.io.IOException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException  
initialize at /usr/hdp/2.3.2.0-2950/hbase/lib/ruby/hbase/hbase.rb:42      
(root) at /usr/hdp/2.3.2.0-2950/hbase/bin/hirb.rb:131

After almost 1/2 day of hair-pulling, I ran strace against the shell startup on a working node and compared it to the trace from the failing one. It turns out that the shell absolutely requires this directory path to exist (it can be empty):

/hadoop/hbase/local/jars

Once I created that hierarchy the shell was able to start successfully:

$ mkdir /hadoop
$ chmod 1777 /hadoop
$ mkdir -p /hadoop/hbase/local/jars
$ chmod -R 755 /hadoop/hbase

Hopefully this will save someone else the time and aggravation.

Contributor

Install HBase Client on that node after that you can able to launch HBase Shell