Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HCatLoader() Error in Load Pig Statement

Rising Star

The following Pig Script statement gives error...

A = LOAD 'batting' USING org.apache.hcatalog.pig.HCatLoader();

2016-01-01 19:05:47,197 [main] ERROR org.apache.pig.PigServer - exception during parsing: Error during parsing. Could not resolve org.apache.hcatalog.pig.HCatLoader using imports: [, java.lang., org.apache.pig.builtin., org.apache.pig.impl.builtin.]
Failed to parse: Pig script failed to parse: 
<file script.pig, line 1, column 25> pig script failed to validate: org.apache.pig.backend.executionengine.E

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Guru

Because you are using the wrong class name for HCatLoader. It should be:

org.apache.hive.hcatalog.pig.HCatLoader

Let me know if that fixes your issue.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Rising Star

I ran the following script and get the following error:

A = LOAD 'batting' USING org.apache.hive.hcatalog.pig.HCatLoader(); dump A;

1. 2016-01-0303:52:33,153[main] ERROR org.apache.pig.PigServer- exception during parsing:Error during parsing.Couldnot resolve org.apache.hive.hcatalog.pig.HCatLoaderusing imports:[, java.lang., org.apache.pig.builtin., org.apache.pig.impl.builtin.]
  2. Failed to parse:Pig script failed to parse:
  3. <file script.pig, line 11, column 25> pig script failed to validate: org.apache.pig.backend.executionengine.ExecException: ERROR 1070:Couldnot resolve org.apache.hive.hcatalog.pig.HCatLoaderusing imports:[, java.lang., org.apache.pig.builtin., org.apache.pig.impl.builtin.]

Guru

Are you running Pig (or starting the Grunt shell) with the -useHCatalog flag?

Rising Star

@rich It is working from the Grunt Shell without REGISTER, if I do: $pig -useHCatalog -f myscript.pig

Thanks.

But I am not able to execute the same script from Ambari. Do I have to REGISTER the jars, if I have to execute from Ambari?

In certification, do I have to execute the pig script from Grunt shell or from ambari?

Guru

How you run the script is irrelevant on the exam. If you can get it to work from the command line, then that is perfect.

Rising Star

@rich Thanks Rich. That is very useful info. I can execute from Grunt shell.

As Ambari provides good interface which helps in syntax for script writing, if you can provide any help on running from Ambari would be great.

Guru

You need to view this page carefully - the current exam is on HDP 2.2 with Ambari 1.7:

http://hortonworks.com/training/class/hdp-certified-developer-hdpcd-exam/

That can change at any time, but for now you should be prepared for that environment. The Sandbox can be helpful when practicing and learning Pig and Hive, but I would highly recommend you attempt the practice exam. It is on the same environment as the real exam and contains tasks similar to the real exam.

Master Mentor

@Vidya SK are you still having issues with this? Can you accept best answer or provide your own solution?