Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HDFS Client failed to install due to bad symlink

New Contributor

We are installing HDP 2.3 using Ambari 2.1.2 on CentOS 6.5 and running into an issue where hdfs client fails to install due to what appears to be a bad symlink.

There is a symlink in this location which appears to be broken, linking to /etc/hadoop/conf, which then links back to /usr/hdp/current/hadoop-client/conf. This results in a cyclical link. We are importing a blueprint to create the cluster. This same blueprint works fine in another environment. I am not sure what to look for in order to resolve this error.

File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/providers/system.py", line 87, in action_create
    raise Fail("Applying %s failed, parent directory %s doesn't exist" % (self.resource, dirname))
resource_management.core.exceptions.Fail: Applying File['/usr/hdp/current/hadoop-client/conf/hadoop-policy.xml'] failed, parent directory /usr/hdp/current/hadoop-client/conf doesn't exist
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

New Contributor

I figured it out. We had multiple versions of the rpms in our local yum repo (build 2434 and build 2557) so ambari was confused and pulling older rpms, causing this error.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Master Mentor
@Jason Reslock

It did happen when I used the environment for the install after cleaning up previous install. If that's the case then you need to make sure that the cleanup did happen completely.

Hey @Jason Reslock , i am facing similar issue while trying to reinstall , but how to make sure that cleanup did happen completely?

@Jason Reslock

Is hdfs-client installed on that host?

As always, verify correct permissions exist on the directories.

Ex:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 Oct 14 18:24 hadoop-client -> /usr/hdp/2.2.0.0-2041/hadoop

New Contributor

I figured it out. We had multiple versions of the rpms in our local yum repo (build 2434 and build 2557) so ambari was confused and pulling older rpms, causing this error.