Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HDFS cluster in HA enabled, during check pointing how actually editlogs are merged with fsimage ?

Explorer

HDFS cluster in HA enabled with one active namenode and one standby namenode. During checkpointing in how editlogs and fsimage get merged ?

I tired with the source code check but got confused by the flow, Can someone help on this?, how editlogs and fsimage file get merged ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Hi @NaveenBlaze,

I am trying to explain in a summarized view but not sure if this helps you otherwise let me know what details u want around checkpointing.

1. During startup, the Standby NameNode loads the latest filesystem image from the disk into its memory. It also retrieves and applies any remaining edit log files from the Journal nodes to update its namespace.

2. This merging process happens in memory each time, ensuring that the namespace stays up-to-date with the latest changes.

3. After startup, the Standby NameNode regularly checks for new edit log files every dfs.ha.tail-edits.period (default: 60 seconds). It streams any new edits directly from the Journal nodes into memory to keep the namespace updated.

4. Additionally, the Standby NameNode checks every dfs.namenode.checkpoint.check.period (default: 60 seconds) to see if a certain number of un-checkpointed transactions have been reached (default: 1,000,000).

5. If the number of un-checkpointed transactions hasn't reached the threshold within dfs.namenode.checkpoint.period (default: 3600 seconds or 6 hours), the Standby NameNode performs a mandatory checkpoint by saving all accumulated namespace changes from memory to disk (saveNamespace).

6. After the checkpoint, the Standby NameNode requests the Active NameNode to fetch the newly built filesystem image. The Active NameNode streams it and saves it to disk for future restarts.

7. It's important to note that the edit logs stored in the Journal nodes serve as the primary source of truth during startup for both the Active and Standby NameNodes.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Community Manager

@NaveenBlaze, Welcome to our community! To help you get the best possible answer, I have tagged in our HDFS experts @Asok @willx  who may be able to assist you further.

Please feel free to provide any additional information or details about your query, and we hope that you will find a satisfactory solution to your question.

Regards,

Vidya Sargur,
Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.
Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Explorer

@VidyaSargur Thanks.
@Asok @willx 
Can you please help me with how the transactions in edit logs are applied to  fsimage in Standby namenode ?  

Master Collaborator

Hi @NaveenBlaze,

Thanks for raising the question. Please refer to the below article for the flow of checkpointing in HDFS. 

https://blog.cloudera.com/a-guide-to-checkpointing-in-hadoop/

Regards,

Will Xiao,
Cloudera support

Explorer

I have seen this post, I understood how the flow is happening, but how the edit logs transactions are applied to fsimage is not mentioned.
Can you please clear that ? 
And also, how block report is generated in datanode and how it is handled in namenode side?

Expert Contributor

Hi @NaveenBlaze,

I am trying to explain in a summarized view but not sure if this helps you otherwise let me know what details u want around checkpointing.

1. During startup, the Standby NameNode loads the latest filesystem image from the disk into its memory. It also retrieves and applies any remaining edit log files from the Journal nodes to update its namespace.

2. This merging process happens in memory each time, ensuring that the namespace stays up-to-date with the latest changes.

3. After startup, the Standby NameNode regularly checks for new edit log files every dfs.ha.tail-edits.period (default: 60 seconds). It streams any new edits directly from the Journal nodes into memory to keep the namespace updated.

4. Additionally, the Standby NameNode checks every dfs.namenode.checkpoint.check.period (default: 60 seconds) to see if a certain number of un-checkpointed transactions have been reached (default: 1,000,000).

5. If the number of un-checkpointed transactions hasn't reached the threshold within dfs.namenode.checkpoint.period (default: 3600 seconds or 6 hours), the Standby NameNode performs a mandatory checkpoint by saving all accumulated namespace changes from memory to disk (saveNamespace).

6. After the checkpoint, the Standby NameNode requests the Active NameNode to fetch the newly built filesystem image. The Active NameNode streams it and saves it to disk for future restarts.

7. It's important to note that the edit logs stored in the Journal nodes serve as the primary source of truth during startup for both the Active and Standby NameNodes.

Explorer

Hi @Majeti ,
Thanks for your response. 

In this step you have mentioned merging process, how that merging process is happening between edit logs and old fsimage ?

Expert Contributor

Hi @NaveenBlaze ,

You can get more info from https://github.com/c9n/hadoop/blob/master/hadoop-hdfs-project/hadoop-hdfs/src/main/java/org/apache/h... .

Notice these two lines in this method doTailEdits

FSImage image = namesystem.getFSImage();

streams = editLog.selectInputStreams(lastTxnId + 1, 0, null, false);

editsLoaded = image.loadEdits(streams, namesystem);