Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HDP 2.3.4 for Windows Installation Issue

Contributor

When trying to install HDP 2.3.4.0 on Windows Server 2012, I receive the following error. "Please add file ext*.zip next to the MSI in order to continue installation".

This error occurs regardless of the options selected (Single Node, Multi Node, Add Components, etc).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

After a lot of trial and error, I finally got the installation to work. Here's what i did differently.

1. Launch the msi using a local account with admin rights, not a domain account.

2. For the Hadoop - User password, i entered a very strong password that was sure to meet Windows min requirements.

3. selected derby to host Hive and Oozie dbs, not MSSQL.

4. DID NOT select LZO, GZip, or Oozie web console options.

My theory is the installation failed due to either insufficient system privileges related to my domain account or the password entered for the hadoop user failed the minimum requirements for Server 2012.

Now my next challenge is to install / configure a compression codec and the oozie web console after the fact.

I appreciate everyone's help earlier.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Master Mentor

Contributor

I tried using the cmd line options as described in the article, still results in an error. I didn't run into this issue when installing HDP-2.3.0.0 for windows, but 2.3.4 is a no go.

Master Mentor

@John Gartman it says you need to place required file in the installation folder next to the MSI files. It needs a dependency. I can't find an article on HCC where user had the same behavior and was able to progress. Find out what file it's complaining about and place it in the directory.

Contributor

I started the install over from step 1 using the installation documentation. Here's what my environment looks like:

Python 2.7.11 - insured path variable is set correctly

JDK 1.7.0_59 - insured java_home and path is set correctly

Win Server 2012 R2 (64)

Downloaded from Hortonworks HDP-2.3.4.0 and expanded using Win 2012 built in zip utility.

Steps taken to produce the issue:

Launch MSI installer via command line as suggested by the document.

Tried Single Node and Multi Node. Tried no additional components.

If there is a file missing from the installation directory, I can figure out what it is. I assume, the HDP installation pkg would include all the required files to install once expanded. Note: I understand and installed the non HDP software prior to this attempt.

Additionally, HDP 2.3.0.0 installation went fine on this server.

Thanks.

Master Mentor

why don't you do install with 2.3.0.0 and do an upgrade? that will teach you how to do an upgrade as well! @John Gartman and if you can recreate the issue, you can file a Jira to fix this bug.

Contributor

That's a good idea. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Contributor

I've tried all suggestions. Even went as far as running through the installation instructions on a brand new windows server 2012 image. The installer continues to error almost immediately after hitting "install" from the gui.

Master Mentor

@John Gartman try the upgrade at approach

Contributor

After a lot of trial and error, I finally got the installation to work. Here's what i did differently.

1. Launch the msi using a local account with admin rights, not a domain account.

2. For the Hadoop - User password, i entered a very strong password that was sure to meet Windows min requirements.

3. selected derby to host Hive and Oozie dbs, not MSSQL.

4. DID NOT select LZO, GZip, or Oozie web console options.

My theory is the installation failed due to either insufficient system privileges related to my domain account or the password entered for the hadoop user failed the minimum requirements for Server 2012.

Now my next challenge is to install / configure a compression codec and the oozie web console after the fact.

I appreciate everyone's help earlier.