Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HDP 2.4.2 Windows Server 2012 - Service 'Apache Hadoop master (master)' cannot be started

New Contributor

(1) I have installed the HDP 2.4.2 on Windows Server 2012 successfully without the Ranger. After I issued the '.\start_local_hdp_services.cmd', The 'master' service failed to start.

The message is:

start_local_starting master Start-Service : Service 'Apache Hadoop master (master)' cannot be started due to the following error:

Cannot start service master on computer '.'.

At C:\hdp\manage_local_hdp_services.ps1:84 char:16 +

$foo = Start-Service -Name $serviceName.Name -ErrorAction Continue + 'CategoryInfo : OpenError: (System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController:ServiceController) [Start-Service], ServiceCommandException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CouldNotStartService,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.StartServiceCommand

Please let me know how I can resolve this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru
@ Patrick Wong
The reason is that your user home path contains a space. You need to "qualify" that with quotes around that path with space included. You should do that in all XML files in the hdp directory with the argument -Dhadoop.id.str, all services started.
To generalize the solution proposed, let's say a service fails with the error, search for servicename.xml in C:\hdp folder. Let's say namenode fails:
1. search for namenode.xml in C:\hdp
2. open the xml file in text editor
3. find the key -Dhadoop.id.str in the file
4. Put the value in quotes if there is a space.
  • Eg. -Dhadoop.id.str=My Name to -Dhadoop.id.str="My Name"

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Super Guru
@ Patrick Wong
The reason is that your user home path contains a space. You need to "qualify" that with quotes around that path with space included. You should do that in all XML files in the hdp directory with the argument -Dhadoop.id.str, all services started.
To generalize the solution proposed, let's say a service fails with the error, search for servicename.xml in C:\hdp folder. Let's say namenode fails:
1. search for namenode.xml in C:\hdp
2. open the xml file in text editor
3. find the key -Dhadoop.id.str in the file
4. Put the value in quotes if there is a space.
  • Eg. -Dhadoop.id.str=My Name to -Dhadoop.id.str="My Name"