Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HDP 2.4 rolling upgrade

Expert Contributor

I am planning to upgrade from HDP 2.2.6 to HDP 2.4. I am also running Ambari 2.1.0 version. What is the best way to upgrade 2.4.0 ?

Is there a direct way to upgrade to 2.4 from 2.2.6 ? This is what I am planning to upgrade .

Step 1 : Upgrade Ambari 2.2.x version

Step 2 : Upgrade to HDP 2.3.x version ( I can skip this if direct rolling upgrade is available from 2.2 to 2.4)

Step 3 :Upgrade to HDP 2.4 version.

Please give your thoughts and suggestions on this .

I see documents for manual upgrade from 2.2 to 2.4 but I haven't seen documents for rolling upgrade.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

Hi Anandha,

(1) The same guide applies to upgrades to 2.4

(2) Just set hive.server2.support.dynamic.service.discovery to true in Ambari. You can try without it, then on the page where you decide between Rolling and Express upgrade Ambari will tell you can you proceed or not.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Contributor

Yes, a direct rolling upgrade from HDP 2.2.6 to HDP 2.4.0 is supported. You should first upgrade Ambari to Ambari 2.2.1.1. You can then use that Ambari to do the Rolling upgrade to HDP 2.4.0.

Expert Contributor

Thanks David for the quick response. Do you have documents/reference to rolling upgrade ?

Expert Contributor

@jluniya

I just have 2 clarification.

1) For rolling upgrade , I used the documents for 2.2 to 2.3. Can you provide me document link for 2.2 to 2.4 upgrade. I believe it won't be much difference between them.

2) For HPD upgrade, one of the pre-requisite is Hive Dynamic Discovery should be configured for rolling upgrade. What is the impact if we don't have that ?

Master Guru

Hi Anandha,

(1) The same guide applies to upgrades to 2.4

(2) Just set hive.server2.support.dynamic.service.discovery to true in Ambari. You can try without it, then on the page where you decide between Rolling and Express upgrade Ambari will tell you can you proceed or not.

Rising Star

@Anandha L Ranganathan

1) You can follow the same Ambari upgrade guide

2) There is a pre-requisite check for Hive Dynamic Discovery that will block upgrades if this config property is required. Specifically HDP-2.2.x -> HDP-2.2.y upgrades will only WARN if this config property is not set, however HDP-2.2.x -> HDP-2.3.y+ upgrades will be blocked as this pre-req will FAIL.

FYI, the pre-req checks are fairly verbose on what steps to follow just incase you missed on some of these preconditions documented in the upgrade guide.

Expert Contributor

Thanks for the update.