Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HDP 2.4, virtualbox and vmware timeout errors

Contributor

Host machine features: Intel Core i7-3rd gen, 8GB RAM, 1TB HD

Virtual Machine: HDP Sandbox 2.4 on VirtualBox and VMware Player, 4GB RAM, 50GB HD space

I have been trying to do the exercises from the tutorial after have downloaded and installed the virtual machine of HDP 2.4 for vmware and virtual box.

Until now I haven't been able to run sucessfully non a single excercise in Pig mainly because I'm getting a constant error starting with java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out. If there is not an error, the query kees running even if I load a file with only 80 rows.

Additional to that I also have faced the error of not getting access through Ambari the url 127.0.0.1:8080 and the only solution that sometimes works is by accessing with the url with the ip address provided by the vm, starting 192.168.xxx.xxx:8080.

Because I was getting errors with the VirtualBox network configuration, I changed it to a Bridged-connection but again the error continued. Then I created the virtual machine with VMware Player and left the NAT configuration but it keeps getting the same error.

Finally when trying to run a query on Hive view, I saw that the default schema and tables aren't displayed on the left side. Then when running an query I got an error with the message "H100 Unable to submit statement show databases like '*': org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException: java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe".

I don't know if I've misconfigured something both it seems strange as I get the same errors on both virtual machines.

Could someone help me to find a solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

The problem seems to be solved by running the virtual machine with VMware Workstation instead of just VMware Player.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Super Guru
@Banana Joe

It may be related to the resources in VM, please see the doc for resource requirement.

http://hortonworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Import_on_Vbox_3_1_2016.pdf

RAM - "At least 8 GB of RAM (The more, the better) If you wish to enable services such as Ambari, HBase, Storm, Kafka, or Spark please ensure you have at least 10 Gb of physical RAM in order to run the VM using 8 GB".

Contributor

I have friends that also have 8GB RAM on their laptops and they are not having those issues.

Could it be something related with the network configuration as I have VMware and Virtualbox installed on my laptop?

Super Guru
@Banana Joe

For H100 Unable to submit statement show databases like '*' ambari restart can resolve the issue.

Contributor

I read that if I want to restart the services, I can do it in Ambari with an admin account but on what section can I do that?

Contributor

The problem seems to be solved by running the virtual machine with VMware Workstation instead of just VMware Player.