Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HDP 2.5 How to connect Zeppelin to Phoenix in secured cluster

Master Collaborator

HDP 2.5 secured cluster with Zeppelin and HBase installed. I could connect to Phoenix using the sqlline.py utility using the following parameter.

/usr/hdp/current/phoenix-client/bin/sqlline.py <zk1>,<zk2>,<zk3>:2181:/hbase-secure:hbase@DOMAIN.COM:/etc/security/keytabs/hbase.headless.keytab

However when I try to use similar parameter for jdbc conn string in phoenix, I got

null
org.apache.phoenix.exception.PhoenixIOException: Failed after attempts=1, exceptions:
Wed Jan 18 15:13:11 UTC 2017, RpcRetryingCaller{globalStartTime=1484752390908, pause=100, retries=1}, org.apache.hadoop.hbase.MasterNotRunningException: com.google.protobuf.ServiceException: java.io.IOException: Broken pipe

class org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.InterpreterException

The jdbc interpreter settings for Phoenix are

11499-screen-shot-2017-01-18-at-105658-am.png

Do I need to create phoenixuser principal and use that keytab instead? and what is phoenix.user and phoenix.password?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

@Qi Wang

Well, to fix it you will need to proceed few steps:

1. In the jdbc interpreters configuration you need to remove default artifacts for phoenix and hbase (phoenix-4.7... and hbase-1.1.3...).

2. add new artifact for phoenix-client.jar (just provide the path /usr/hdp/current/phoenix-client/phoenix-client.jar)

3. You need to set up interpreter to properly find hbase configuration dir. It could be done by adding to the end of zeppelin-env.sh

export CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:/etc/hbase/conf

using Ambari and after restart of Zeppelin service everything is supposed to work

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Super Guru
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.MasterNotRunningException

It would appear that HBase is not actually running. Can you verify that HBase is healthy? Can you interact with HBase via `hbase shell` (e.g. create a table, add data to it, delete the table)?

Master Collaborator

@Josh Elser

HBase is running fine. I cold pull the table list and look into "atlas_titan" tables content

[root@qwang-hdp5 logs]# hbase shell
HBase Shell; enter 'help<RETURN>' for list of supported commands.
Type "exit<RETURN>" to leave the HBase Shell
Version 1.1.2.2.5.3.0-37, rcb8c969d1089f1a34e9df11b6eeb96e69bcf878d, Tue Nov 29 18:48:22 UTC 2016

hbase(main):001:0> list
TABLE
ATLAS_ENTITY_AUDIT_EVENTS
SYSTEM.CATALOG
SYSTEM.FUNCTION
SYSTEM.SEQUENCE
SYSTEM.STATS
atlas_titan
driver_dangerous_event
my_table
8 row(s) in 0.5710 seconds

hbase(main):003:0> scan 'atlas_titan'

Super Guru

Can you please try to create a table? This specifically uses the Master whereas scanning a table can be done by talking to a RegionServer.

Master Collaborator

@Josh Elser

HBase is up and running fine. I can create table in both hbase shell and sqlline.py

hbase(main):001:0> create 'my_table1', {NAME =>'cf1'}, {NAME =>'cf2'}
0 row(s) in 2.9560 seconds

=> Hbase::Table - my_table1
hbase(main):002:0> put 'my_table1', 'rowkey01', 'cf1:c1', 'test value'
0 row(s) in 0.6850 seconds

hbase(main):003:0> get 'my_table1', 'rowkey01'
COLUMN                          CELL
 cf1:c1                         timestamp=1484780190152, value=test value
1 row(s) in 0.0780 seconds

Super Guru

Sorry for the tangent, Qi. Glad Sergey was here to steer you in a better direction 🙂

Super Collaborator

I bet that HBase is healthy. Was able to reproduce it locally. The same exception running test from zeppelin with perfectly working sqlline (as well as hbase shell).

Master Collaborator

@Sergey Soldatov

Are you running into the same problem on a secured cluster or non-secured one?

Super Collaborator

@Qi Wang

Well, to fix it you will need to proceed few steps:

1. In the jdbc interpreters configuration you need to remove default artifacts for phoenix and hbase (phoenix-4.7... and hbase-1.1.3...).

2. add new artifact for phoenix-client.jar (just provide the path /usr/hdp/current/phoenix-client/phoenix-client.jar)

3. You need to set up interpreter to properly find hbase configuration dir. It could be done by adding to the end of zeppelin-env.sh

export CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:/etc/hbase/conf

using Ambari and after restart of Zeppelin service everything is supposed to work

Master Collaborator

@Sergey Soldatov

It works after following your steps. It would be nice to figure out how to do step 3 in ambari if possible, always worry some later ambari update would wipe the change out. thanks a lot for your help!