Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HDP_2.5_virtualbox Ambari admin default password?

Explorer

I downloaded and imported HDP_2.5_virtualbox to Oracle virtualbox successfully, and was able to launch 8080 port Ambari login page without issue, but I do not know the admin default password.I tried ambari-admin-password-reset but, it was not recognized by shell, I logged in as root.

Thanks

Anna

10 REPLIES 10

Explorer

I also tried running command ambari-admin-password-reset and ambari-server start as root, but both are not recognized by shell. I noticed /var/log/ambari-server does not exists. I have searched the posts in community, but I have not found solution to solve this issue so far. I am new to hontonworks, please be nice to newbie and help.

Thanks

Anna

Master Mentor

@Anna Qin

Do you see the following file in your system ? If yes then try running it manually to reset the password of ambari.

/usr/sbin/ambari-admin-password-reset

As you mentioned that there is no log "/var/log/ambari-server", that indicates that due to some reason ambari-server might not be running so you shoudl try restarting it on your own:

ambari-server start
ambari-server status

No such file

12489-hortonambari.png

Explorer

Never mind, I got it by clicking on the icon on the right "Quick Links" under "Advanced HDP", which directs me to a page with Ambari default login ID and password information - not even intuitive, I am sure I won't be the last one who will stumble on this innocent issue.

Explorer

Never mind, I got it by clicking on "Quick Links" under "Advanced HDP" on the right side of Ambari login page, then it directs me to another page with Ambari item being on the first left with default login ID and password info - not very intuitive - I am sure I won't be the last one stumbling on this innocent error.

Explorer

thanks Jay for the reply, but /usr/sbin/ambari-admin-password-reset is missing on the sandbox, and command ambari-start is not recognized, I guess ambari compoment location has been changed in this sandbox version and some environment values for shell need to update?

I am facing same issue. I am also getting command not found for ambari-admin-password-reset

Explorer

try using putty ssh to connect to the sandbox: host:127.0.0.1, user: root, password:hadoop, port:2222. that helps me solve the issue. The issue happened when login to sandbox from virtualbox directly using "alt+f5" for me.

Expert Contributor

@Preetha Varma,

as @Anna Qin stated, you will get to the sandbox by ssh-ing to port 2222. There are two levels of virtualization in the sandbox. The host VM, which runs on virtualbox, and the sandbox container, which runs under docker in the VM. The container is where all of the sandbox processes run. Port 2222 goes into the container and that is why ambari-admin-password-reset has to be run there.