Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HDP 2.6.4 is ready for production environment as it supports Java8?

Explorer

Hi,

We are currently using HDP 2.6.4 image for our development environment and plan to use the same for client deliveries in production environment. This HDP image supports Java8 whereas the company standard says we need support for Java11 for any client deliveries. How can we tackle this problem if we plan to use HDP in our production environment?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@neha_t_jain 

Great I have seen a similar question of a member asking HDP compatibility with Java 12 it's unfortunate the open sourceness of Java is gone and some companies will have to pay to use it. HDP being a packaged software need rigorous unitary tests for all the components which as you know are many so the certification of  a new version of Java will take a while which in one way is good because it gives software testers time to uncover memory leaks etc.

Having said that if my response answered you then take some time to mark it as a solution so other members can easily resolve similar queries and avoid creating new threads 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Master Mentor

@neha_t_jain 

As your company has stringent regulations about the Java version,unfortunately even HDP 3.1 hasn't been certified against java 11,my best bet if to take the golden opportunity to propose the deployment of the HDP cluster in the cloud AWS or Azure, and try to sell the advantage on the cloud offerings, this way the environment is isolated and the network admins can create VDI [Virtual desktops] in a specific VLAN or VM's in the cloud so user's access it through RDP remote desktop and only when HDP/CDP is certified against java 11 then access can be given to users in the corporate network.

I am assuming you have only select users who are going to use the HDP cluster.

HTH

Master Mentor

@neha_t_jain 

Do you still need more clarification or did the response give you a good idea on how to proceed? I think if you plan to test drive HDP that's the only solution not to compromise your network security.

Please let me know.

Explorer

Thanks for your reply. It is really helpful.

Master Mentor

@neha_t_jain 

Great I have seen a similar question of a member asking HDP compatibility with Java 12 it's unfortunate the open sourceness of Java is gone and some companies will have to pay to use it. HDP being a packaged software need rigorous unitary tests for all the components which as you know are many so the certification of  a new version of Java will take a while which in one way is good because it gives software testers time to uncover memory leaks etc.

Having said that if my response answered you then take some time to mark it as a solution so other members can easily resolve similar queries and avoid creating new threads