Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HDP HDFS balancer CLI not found

Contributor

We had an HDP 2.5.3.0 cluster that had an HDFS balancer CLI command that is not found with HDP 3.1.5.0.  I am adding new nodes the the 3.1.5 cluster and it appears there is some HDFS balancing going on, albeit slowly.  Did the CLI go away with 3.1.5.0 or am I missing something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

ah ! Can you try to run the below HDFS balancer command , The below command would move the blocks at a decent pace and would not affect the existing jobs

nohup hdfs balancer -Ddfs.balancer.moverThreads=5000 -Ddfs.datanode.balance.max.concurrent.moves=20 -Ddfs.datanode.balance.bandwidthPerSec=10737418240 -Ddfs.balancer.dispatcherThreads=200 -Ddfs.balancer.max-size-to-move=100737418240 -threshold 10 1>/home/hdfs/balancer/balancer-out_$(date +"%Y%m%d%H%M%S").log 2>/home/hdfs/balancer/balancer-err_$(date +"%Y%m%d%H%M%S").log

you can also refer to the below doc if you need any tuning
https://docs.cloudera.com/HDPDocuments/HDP3/HDP-3.1.5/data-storage/content/balancer_commands.html

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Contributor

Hello @wazzu62 , Kindly share what is the error message that you get while you run the hdfs balancer command as we haven't removed the CLI command on HDP 3.1.5.0. 

Contributor

Operator error, I forgot the balancer was an hdfs command and not something in /usr/bin

Contributor

ah ! Can you try to run the below HDFS balancer command , The below command would move the blocks at a decent pace and would not affect the existing jobs

nohup hdfs balancer -Ddfs.balancer.moverThreads=5000 -Ddfs.datanode.balance.max.concurrent.moves=20 -Ddfs.datanode.balance.bandwidthPerSec=10737418240 -Ddfs.balancer.dispatcherThreads=200 -Ddfs.balancer.max-size-to-move=100737418240 -threshold 10 1>/home/hdfs/balancer/balancer-out_$(date +"%Y%m%d%H%M%S").log 2>/home/hdfs/balancer/balancer-err_$(date +"%Y%m%d%H%M%S").log

you can also refer to the below doc if you need any tuning
https://docs.cloudera.com/HDPDocuments/HDP3/HDP-3.1.5/data-storage/content/balancer_commands.html