Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HDP: Sandbox 2.5 Zepplin Returns HTTP ERROR: 503

Hello All,

Zeppelin on HDP 2.5 Sandbox throws below error

HTTP ERROR: 503

Problem accessing /. Reason:

Service Unavailable

I have checked Ambari and it shows green next to Zeppelin. I have already restarted Zeppelin and the sandbox and still no luck.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Managed to get it corrected!!

backed up files from /usr/hdp/current/zeppelin-server/notebook to a different location, deleted the content of the folder and restarted zeppelin.

It worked like a magic.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Master Mentor

@Subodh Chettri

It indicates an internal server error so can you please check the Zeppelin Logs? If you find any error/warnign there then please share.

/var/log/zeppelin/zeppelin-zeppelin-HOSTNAME.log

- Ambari might be showing green because the zeppelin port is opened So port checking is fine. However Zeppelin Server's some components might not be started successfully. So checking logs are good.

- Also Please make sure that the Zepelin directories has proper permissions.

@Jay SenSharma

- The permission on the webapps folder is 755.

- I did not see any warnings in the folder. However There are few error which I ham not sure would be realted for zeppelin to not function as expected.

[root@sandbox webapp]# cat /var/log/zeppelin/zeppelin-zeppelin-sandbox.hortonworks.com.log | grep -i error
ERROR [2017-01-04 00:16:09,138] ({main} Interpreter.java[register]:315) - Static initialization is deprecated. You should change it to use interpreter-setting.json in your jar or interpreter/{interpreter}/interpreter-setting.json
ERROR [2017-01-04 00:16:09,178] ({main} Interpreter.java[register]:315) - Static initialization is deprecated. You should change it to use interpreter-setting.json in your jar or interpreter/{interpreter}/interpreter-setting.json
ERROR [2017-01-04 00:16:09,180] ({main} Interpreter.java[register]:315) - Static initialization is deprecated. You should change it to use interpreter-setting.json in your jar or interpreter/{interpreter}/interpreter-setting.json
ERROR [2017-01-04 00:16:09,181] ({main} Interpreter.java[register]:315) - Static initialization is deprecated. You should change it to use interpreter-setting.json in your jar or interpreter/{interpreter}/interpreter-setting.json
ERROR [2017-01-04 00:16:09,194] ({main} Interpreter.java[register]:315) - Static initialization is deprecated. You should change it to use interpreter-setting.json in your jar or interpreter/{interpreter}/interpreter-setting.json

Expert Contributor

Hi @Subodh Chettri, zeppelin server log will be helpful to identify the issue. If server is running and you are not able to open the web ui, might be some permission issue webapps folder. Please review the permission.

/usr/hdp/<VERSION>/zeppelin/webapps/

Hi @nyadav had a look at the logs located at /var/log/zeppelin/zeppelin-zeppelin-sandbox.hortonworks.com.log . No error registered. The permission for /usr/hdp/2.5.0.0-1245/zeppelin/webapps is 755 which looks okay to me.

Thanks.

Managed to get it corrected!!

backed up files from /usr/hdp/current/zeppelin-server/notebook to a different location, deleted the content of the folder and restarted zeppelin.

It worked like a magic.

Rising Star

I also faced the same issue. Had to remove one note to make the the service. Is there a way to figure out the the notes that are corrupted. Log file doesn't tell anything in version 0.6.0.2.5