Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hbase Restore using the Backup ID from S3 throws error

Hi,

Using hbase full backup command I have successfully taken the backup and stored in one of my test bucket in AWS S3. In the S3 bucket the backup name is storing in the format 'PRE backup_x1x2x3x' . Below is the backup command which I ran.

hbase backup create full s3a://$AccessKey:$SecretKey@$BucketPath -set setname

Now while doing restore using below command

hbase restore -set setname s3a://$AccessKey:$SecretKey@BucketPath PRE backup_x1x2x3x -overwrite

I get the error as below :

java.io.IOException: Could not find backup manifest .backup.manifest for PRE backup_x1x2x3x in s3a://AcessKey:SecretKey@BucketPath. Did PRE backup_x1x2x3x correspond to previously taken backup ?
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.backup.HBackupFileSystem.getManifestPath(HBackupFileSystem.java:111)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.backup.HBackupFileSystem.getManifest(HBackupFileSystem.java:119)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.backup.HBackupFileSystem.checkImageManifestExist(HBackupFileSystem.java:134)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.backup.impl.RestoreClientImpl.restore(RestoreClientImpl.java:95)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.backup.RestoreDriver.parseAndRun(RestoreDriver.java:158)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.backup.RestoreDriver.doWork(RestoreDriver.java:187)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.AbstractHBaseTool.run(AbstractHBaseTool.java:112)
        at org.apache.hadoop.util.ToolRunner.run(ToolRunner.java:76)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.backup.RestoreDriver.main(RestoreDriver.java:192)

can anybody please help me out in this. @Jay Kumar SenSharma

I have used the above steps from the link :

https://hortonworks.com/blog/coming-hdp-2-5-incremental-backup-restore-apache-hbase-apache-phoenix/

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

1.please avoid putting secrets in your paths; it invariably ends up in a log somewhere. Set the options fs.access.key and fs.secret.key instead.

2. Try backing up to a subdirectory. Root directories are "odd"

3. What happens when you a hadoop fs -ls s3a://bucket/path-to-backup? That should see if the file is there.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

1.please avoid putting secrets in your paths; it invariably ends up in a log somewhere. Set the options fs.access.key and fs.secret.key instead.

2. Try backing up to a subdirectory. Root directories are "odd"

3. What happens when you a hadoop fs -ls s3a://bucket/path-to-backup? That should see if the file is there.

Hi Thanks for the reply @stevel

1. I have added fs.access.key and fs.secret.key in my config file.

2. And just for testing purpose i tried with Root Directory

3. when I execute

hadoop fs -ls s3a://bucket/path-to-backup

i can see the backup created.

@stevel

@Timothy Spann

The restore command works fine after I removed the slash '/' at the end of my bucket path. The restore is successfull. But I dont see any data in my SYSTEM Tables. The User created tables are restored properly with data as expected but SYSTEM tables doesnt show any records in it.

Am I doing something wrong ?

Master Guru

Master Guru

Does your user have permissions?

See also: https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/47197/phoenix-backup.html

https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.6.4/bk_data-access/content/ch_hbase_bar.html

You have to specify table names, so specify the SYSTEM ones as well.

Creating and Maintaining a Complete Backup Image

The first step in running the backup-and-restore utilities is to perform a full backup and to store the data in a separate image from the source. At a minimum, you must do this to get a baseline before you can rely on incremental backups.

[Important>Important
[Tip>Tip
Record the backup ID that appears at the end of a successful backup. In case the source cluster fails and you need to recover the dataset with a restore operation, having the backup ID readily available can save time.