Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hive CLI unresponsive

A prospect is experiencing issue with Hive CLI. I know Hive CLI is not a long term solution and beeline is preferred but I am wondering if beeline, Hive View and other front end tools are working, what could cause Hive CLI to not start -

$ hive
SLF4J: Class path contains multiple SLF4J bindings.
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/usr/hdp/2.3.0.0-2557/hadoop/lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.7.10.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/usr/hdp/2.3.0.0-2557/spark/lib/spark-assembly-1.3.1.2.3.0.0-2557-hadoop2.7.1.2.3.0.0-2557.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#multiple_bindings for an explanation.
SLF4J: Actual binding is of type [org.slf4j.impl.Log4jLoggerFactory]
WARNING: Use "yarn jar" to launch YARN applications.
SLF4J: Class path contains multiple SLF4J bindings.
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/usr/hdp/2.3.0.0-2557/hadoop/lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.7.10.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/usr/hdp/2.3.0.0-2557/spark/lib/spark-assembly-1.3.1.2.3.0.0-2557-hadoop2.7.1.2.3.0.0-2557.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#multiple_bindings for an explanation.
SLF4J: Actual binding is of type [org.slf4j.impl.Log4jLoggerFactory]

Logging initialized using configuration in file:/etc/hive/2.3.0.0-2557/0/hive-log4j.properties

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

One thing to check is if they are using tez. If they are, it could be possible that they do not have any capacity on their YARN cluster to launch AM. So the Hive CLI waits indefinitely to launch an AM. One thing they can do to alleviate this is to launch hive cli as "hive -hiveconf hive.execution.engine=mr".

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Explorer

In our case this was caused by the queues being stopped in yarn due to an upgrade. We changed the queues from STOPPED to RUNNING in capacity-scheduler.xml then restarted yarn and the problem was fixed.

Expert Contributor

@Deepesh If i still want to use Tez as my hive execution engine, what do i need to do? I am running a sqoop job (with Oozie) to move data from oracle into hive. As advised above, i changed to MR and it worked but our hive execution engine of choice is Tez. My Tez container size is 1GB. What changes need to be made for Tez to be able to launch AM for the sqoop process? @Benjamin Leonhardi

Expert Contributor

This was resolved by reducing the reduced amount of memory to be used by the AM to 2048 from 4096 (changing the tez config parameter tez.am.resource.memory.mb)