Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hive: F060 Couldn't open connection to HDFS

Expert Contributor

Earlier today I got an error message stating the "HDFS070 fs.defaultFS is not configured" after upgrading the RAM in my cluster. I don't believe it has anything to do with the RAM but no other changes were made to the cluster and it was working fine previously. I get the error when I go to Hive view in Ambari. I am unable to see any of the databases in the cluster.

hive-hdfs-error.txt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

"HDFS070 fs.defaultFS is not configured" refers to missing default fs in your core-site.xml. Since you are working with Ambari look for this setting in Ambari > Services > HDFS > Config > core-site > fs.default

Ambari caches setting files which is why it is not a good idea to read/write xml files from local directories.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Master Mentor

@Mark Thorson

Whats the value of fs.defaultFS in core-site.xml?

Can you restart the metastore ! And retry

$service hive-metastore restart

Expert Contributor

@Geoffrey Shelton Okot

I tried to restart the metastore but it said the command was not found. Do I need to be in a specific directory? Below is a screenshot of the fs.defaultFS core-site.xml value. The blocked out sections are the hostname and FQDN respectively.

2547-hive-hdfs-error-defaultfs.jpg

2548-hive-hdfs-error-defaultfs-2.jpg

Master Mentor

@Mark Thorson

1. Start Hive. On the Hive Metastore host machine, run the following commands: using nohup and & to run the processes in the background

su - hive 
nohup /usr/hdp/current/hive-metastore/bin/hive --service metastore>/var/log/hive/hive.out 2>/var/log/hive/hive.log & 

2. Start Hive Server2. On the Hive Server2 host machine, run the following commands:

su - hive nohup 
/usr/hdp/current/hive-server2/bin/hiveserver2 >/var/log/hive/hiveserver2.out 2> /var/log/hive/hiveserver2.log& 

where $HIVE_USER is the Hive Service user. eg hive.

Expert Contributor

@Geoffrey Shelton Okot

I restarted the Hive metastore and HiveServer2 but I am still getting the same error message. It is also accompanied by a NullPointer Exception but I think that will be resolved once this other error is resolved.

Expert Contributor

"HDFS070 fs.defaultFS is not configured" refers to missing default fs in your core-site.xml. Since you are working with Ambari look for this setting in Ambari > Services > HDFS > Config > core-site > fs.default

Ambari caches setting files which is why it is not a good idea to read/write xml files from local directories.

Expert Contributor

@Umair Khan

I found the file you are talking about in Ambari. The server listed there is correct namenode it should be looking to. Do you see anything wrong with the way it is written? I used the port I found in the Hortonworks documentation.

2576-hive-hdfs-error-defaultfs-3.jpg

Expert Contributor

Yes that is the correct format. Please verify is Hive is working fine, and you can query tables without issues. If yes, then the issues seems to be with Ambari Hive View. Depending on version of Ambari you using, you can create a new view as:

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.2.1.0/bk_ambari_views_guide/content/ch_using_hive_...

Expert Contributor

@Umair Khan

You are correct! It is a problem with the Hive view. I created a new Hive view and now am able to see my data bases again and run queries. Thanks so much for your help!