Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hive Metastore not starting in HDP 3.0

Expert Contributor

I'm just setting up a Hortonworks Data Platform 3.0 installation.

When I want to start the services (first time), the Hive Metastore start brings an exception:

Loading class `com.mysql.jdbc.Driver'. This is deprecated. The new driver class is `com.mysql.cj.jdbc.Driver'. The driver is automatically registered via the SPI and manual loading of the driver class is generally unnecessary.
org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaException: Failed to get schema version.
Underlying cause: java.sql.SQLException : The server time zone value 'CEST' is unrecognized or represents more than one time zone. You must configure either the server or JDBC driver (via the serverTimezone configuration property) to use a more specifc time zone value if you want to utilize time zone support.
SQL Error code: 0
org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaException: Failed to get schema version.
	at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.tools.HiveSchemaHelper.getConnectionToMetastore(HiveSchemaHelper.java:94)
	at org.apache.hive.beeline.HiveSchemaTool.getConnectionToMetastore(HiveSchemaTool.java:169)
	at org.apache.hive.beeline.HiveSchemaTool.testConnectionToMetastore(HiveSchemaTool.java:475)
	at org.apache.hive.beeline.HiveSchemaTool.doInit(HiveSchemaTool.java:581)
	at org.apache.hive.beeline.HiveSchemaTool.doInit(HiveSchemaTool.java:567)
	at org.apache.hive.beeline.HiveSchemaTool.main(HiveSchemaTool.java:1539)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
	at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.run(RunJar.java:318)
	at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.main(RunJar.java:232)
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: The server time zone value 'CEST' is unrecognized or represents more than one time zone. You must configure either the server or JDBC driver (via the serverTimezone configuration property) to use a more specifc time zone value if you want to utilize time zone support.
	at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:129)
	at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:97)
	at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:89)
	at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:63)
	at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:73)
	at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.SQLExceptionsMapping.translateException(SQLExceptionsMapping.java:76)
	at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.createNewIO(ConnectionImpl.java:832)
	at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.<init>(ConnectionImpl.java:456)
	at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.getInstance(ConnectionImpl.java:240)
	at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.NonRegisteringDriver.connect(NonRegisteringDriver.java:207)
	at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:664)
	at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:247)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.tools.HiveSchemaHelper.getConnectionToMetastore(HiveSchemaHelper.java:88)
	... 11 more

In my CentOS system I set the timezone to Europe/Berlin.

ls -l /etc/localtime
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 35 Sep 25 10:45 /etc/localtime -> ../usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Berlin
timedatectl | grep -i 'time zone'
       Time zone: Europe/Berlin (CEST, +0200)

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

The problem was solved after changing the MySQL Database URL from

jdbc:mysql://xxxx.yyyy/hive?createDatabaseIfNotExist=true

to

jdbc:mysql://xxxx.yyyy/hive?createDatabaseIfNotExist=true&serverTimezone=Europe/Berlin

I found the relevant information here: https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/218023/error-setting-up-hive-on-hdp-265timezone-on-mysql...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Expert Contributor

The problem was solved after changing the MySQL Database URL from

jdbc:mysql://xxxx.yyyy/hive?createDatabaseIfNotExist=true

to

jdbc:mysql://xxxx.yyyy/hive?createDatabaseIfNotExist=true&serverTimezone=Europe/Berlin

I found the relevant information here: https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/218023/error-setting-up-hive-on-hdp-265timezone-on-mysql...