Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hive Partitioning

Contributor

Hi All,

I am using cloudera 4.3.0. (System Config:-iIntel i3 Processor with 8GB RAM)Trying to create a Partitioning in Hive. Below is the detail:-

CREATE TABLE partitioned_user(
firstname VARCHAR(64),
lastname VARCHAR(64),
address STRING,
city VARCHAR(64),
post STRING,
phone1 VARCHAR(64),
phone2 STRING,
email STRING,
web STRING
)
PARTITIONED BY (country VARCHAR(64), state VARCHAR(64))
STORED AS SEQUENCEFILE;

But getting error as "FAILED: ParseException line 2:10 cannot recognize input near 'VARCHAR' '(' '64' in column type".

Can anyone please assist.

Thank You.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Community Manager

Following up on this. I can confirm that the Launch Cloudera Manager icon has been replaced with icons to lauch Cloudera express or the Cloudera Enterprise trial. The team is working to update the wording on the download page to reflect this. Sorry for the confusion. 

Cy Jervis, Manager, Community Program
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Contributor
Probably your version of hive is old. Check below.

Varchar datatype was introduced in Hive 0.12.0 (HIVE-4844).

Contributor

Hi Kushal,

Thanks for the response.

I am using Hadoop 2.0.0-CDH4.3.0. So it should work (Please check https://hive.apache.org/downloads.html)

Is there any other possible reason ?

Contributor

As mentioned before Hive version 0.12 ships varchar datatype, based on your cdh4.3.0 it looks like hive version is 0.10 (ref: https://archive.cloudera.com/cdh4/cdh/4/hive-0.10.0-cdh4.3.0.releasenotes.html )

Champion

SInce you have mentioned that you are using CDH4.3.0  - it ships with  hive-0.10.0+121

please refer the link

VARCHAR can be used with CDH 5.2 and higher (i,e Hive 0.12.0)

Contributor

Thanks for the response.

I tried to add CDH 5.10 with VMware player. But the Cloudera Manger icon is missing. Could you please advice.

Champion

That is strange . 

I hope you are using 

• username: cloudera

could you check on the home /Desktop directory of the user. 

Could you please take a look into this quickly to make sure your setup is good.

https://community.cloudera.com/t5/Hadoop-101-Training-Quickstart/How-to-setup-Cloudera-Quickstart-Vi...

Community Manager

@Geek007 wrote:

Thanks for the response.

I tried to add CDH 5.10 with VMware player. But the Cloudera Manger icon is missing. Could you please advice.

I believe the "Launch Cloudera Manager" icon has been replaced with a "Launch Cloudera Express" icon. I'm checking with my contacts to confirm and get the QuickStart VM download page updated with the new wording if needed. 

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.

Community Manager

Following up on this. I can confirm that the Launch Cloudera Manager icon has been replaced with icons to lauch Cloudera express or the Cloudera Enterprise trial. The team is working to update the wording on the download page to reflect this. Sorry for the confusion. 

Contributor

Hello Jervis,

Thanks for the response. 

So currently is it fine to use CDH 5.10 without getting Cloudera Manager ?

I have already downloaded CDH 5.10. So is it required to download it again once the update about the wording will be done or it will auto-reflect the Cloudera Manager ?