Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hive vs Impala JDBC driver for CDP 7.x version

Explorer

Recently we migrated the HDP 2.x platform to the CDP 7.x platform. Now we are migrating our applications(java) to make them compatible with CDP. 

Since CDP 7.x uses Hive 3.1 version, there are some changes in syntax and tables.

I read that we need to change the Hive JDBC driver to the Impala JDBC driver. Do I need to change the driver? If yes, why?

Can anyone please clarify the above?

5 REPLIES 5

Expert Contributor

Hello @saamurai 

Could you please share the link where you read so.

Meanwhile you can use the latest driver links to connect to Hive and Impala respectively for CDP.

//For Hive

https://docs.cloudera.com/documentation/other/connectors/hive-jdbc/2-6-13/Cloudera-JDBC-Driver-for-A...

//For Impala

https://docs.cloudera.com/documentation/other/connectors/impala-jdbc/latest/Cloudera-JDBC-Driver-for...

You have separate drivers for Hive and Impala respectively.

Let me know if the above helps.

Explorer

Hi @tusharkathpal 

Thanks for your clarification.

We can use Impala driver to query from Hive as well.  Are there any performance improvements or any other advantages of using Impala JDBC driver over Hive JDBC driver ?

If there are not much improvement, why don't we use Impala driver?

Expert Contributor

Hello @saamurai 

We have separate drivers for Impala and hive and I am not sure why you intent on using hive driver for Impala.

We do connect to Impala from edge nodes via beeline which is jdbc but the sole purpose is to perform some tests whether connectivity works fine or not. We do not recommend to use beeline for Impala as we have impala-shell designed for the same.

Cloudera recommends to use specific drivers along with version compatibility for each components.

Explorer

Hi @tusharkathpal 

Yes we have different drivers as you mentioned earlier. I just want to clarify will there be any performance improvements when we use Impala driver over Hive driver.

If there is nothing, then I can use specific drivers as suggested by Cloudera.

Thanks a lot for your clarifications.

Expert Contributor

Hello @saamurai 

Thanks for the confirmation.

Cheers!
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.