Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HiveServer2 not starting up

Expert Contributor

hiveserver2log.txt

hive-sitexml.txt

hiveserver2-notstartingup-1.pdf

Hi All - I've an 8 Node HDP 2.5.3 cluster, and Hive is installed on Node-6. From Ambari - Hiveserver 2 is not startup, it gives the following error (as shown on the Ambari UI)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Connection failed on host <Node7>:10000

(Traceback (most recent call last): File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/HIVE/0.12.0.2.0/package/alerts/alert_hive_thrift_port.py", line 200, in execute check_command_timeout=int(check_command_timeout)) File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/functions/hive_check.py", line 74, in check_thrift_port_sasl timeout=check_command_timeout) File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/base.py", line 155, in __init__ self.env.run() File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/environment.py", line 160, in run self.run_action(resource, action) File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/environment.py", line 124, in run_action provider_action() File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/providers/system.py", line 273, in action_run tries=self.resource.tries, try_sleep=self.resource.try_sleep) File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/shell.py", line 70, in inner result = function(command, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/shell.py", line 92, in checked_call tries=tries, try_sleep=try_sleep) File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/shell.py", line 140, in _call_wrapper result = _call(command, **kwargs_copy) File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/shell.py", line 293, in _call raise ExecutionFailed(err_msg, code, out, err)

ExecutionFailed: Execution of '! beeline -u 'jdbc:hive2://<Node7>:10000/;transportMode=binary' -e '' 2>&1| awk '{print}'|grep -i -e 'Connection refused' -e 'Invalid URL'' returned 1. Error: Could not open client transport with JDBC Uri: jdbc:hive2://nwk2-bdp-hadoop-07.gdcs-qa.apple.com:10000/;transportMode=binary: java.net.ConnectException:

Connection refused (Connection refused) (state=08S01,code=0) Error: Could not open client transport with JDBC Uri: jdbc:hive2://<Node-7>:10000/;transportMode=binary: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection refused) (state=08S01,code=0) )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pls note -> In the above error, it is trying to connect to Node-7, instead of Node-6

When i start HiveServer2 on commandline from Node-6, i'm able to start it & connect to Hive using Beeline.

Any ideas where the issue is ?

Attaching the HiveServer.log & the hive-site.xml as well.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru
@Karan Alang

you are getting invalid url. Shouldn't the url start with '!connect jdbc:hive2://<host>:<port>/<db>'

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Expert Contributor

@Pardeep, @Kuldeep Kulkarni, @Jitendra Yadav - looping you in, any ideas on this ?

Expert Contributor

@Artem Ervits, @vpoornalingam, @Mark Herring - looping you in, any ideas on this ?

Expert Contributor

@mqureshi - looping you in, pls. let me know if you have any ideas on this... thnx

Super Guru
@Karan Alang

you are getting invalid url. Shouldn't the url start with '!connect jdbc:hive2://<host>:<port>/<db>'

Expert Contributor

@mqureshi - the issue was that /tmp/hive had incorrect permissions, similar issue was recorded in

hiveserver2-not-starting-using-ambari