Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HiveServer2 won't start after changing Ranger's admin password

Super Collaborator

Hello

HDP 2.3.2

Ambari 2.1.2.1

After changing the admin password of Ranger - both in the ranger UI and in the ambari under Advanced ranger-env the HiveServer2 fails to start. Ranger starts flawlessly - but HiveServer2 (which has Ranger authorization enabled) doesn't. If i disable the Ranger authorization from Hive (switching to none) HiveServer2 will start.

The error in the ambari is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/HIVE/0.12.0.2.0/package/scripts/hive_server.py", line 193, in <module>
    HiveServer().execute()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/script/script.py", line 216, in execute
    method(env)
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/HIVE/0.12.0.2.0/package/scripts/hive_server.py", line 85, in start
    setup_ranger_hive(rolling_upgrade=rolling_restart)
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/HIVE/0.12.0.2.0/package/scripts/setup_ranger_hive.py", line 50, in setup_ranger_hive
    hdp_version_override = hdp_version)                 
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/functions/setup_ranger_plugin_xml.py", line 78, in setup_ranger_plugin
    policy_user)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/functions/ranger_functions.py", line 92, in create_ranger_repository
    repo = self.get_repository_by_name_urllib2(repo_name, component, 'true', ambari_username_password_for_ranger)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/functions/ranger_functions.py", line 57, in get_repository_by_name_urllib2
    response = json.loads(result.read())
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ambari_simplejson/__init__.py", line 307, in loads
    return _default_decoder.decode(s)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ambari_simplejson/decoder.py", line 335, in decode
    obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ambari_simplejson/decoder.py", line 353, in raw_decode
    raise ValueError("No JSON object could be decoded")

I've noticed there's a registered bug around this issue but it is unassigned and unresolved -https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-13168

Any ideas how to workaround this issue ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Adi Jabkowsky

There are two users involved - admin (advanced ranger-env) and amb_ranger_admin (admin settings).

Can you verify both users password are correct in ranger and ambari UI?

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Master Mentor

Super Collaborator

Very similar. The error you posted refers to HDFS. Mine looks practically the same just with HIVE instead of HDFS.

Master Mentor

@Adi Jabkowsky Ok. That's the error taken from one of old email threads. I used the above fix to fix the issue.

@Adi Jabkowsky

There are two users involved - admin (advanced ranger-env) and amb_ranger_admin (admin settings).

Can you verify both users password are correct in ranger and ambari UI?

Super Collaborator

After changing amb_ranger_admin password in ranger and in Ambari - problem resolved. What i don't understand is why. I didn't change this user's password in the first place. I didn't even know this user exists. I only changed the user called "admin" in Ranger WEB UI & in Ambari. I never ever touched, edited, updated, changed a user called amb_ranger_admin. Not in Ambari & not in Ranger. But after setting a new password for this amb_ranger_admin user - in Ambari & in Ranger - problem solved. Thank you all for your responses. I rewarded points to everyone 🙂

Master Mentor

@vperiasamy I agree with Adi's findings. Tagging vel to get more insights.