Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hortonworks directory structure- Edge node

Explorer

Hi,

I am trying to integrate hortonworks with one of BI tools and it says: Copy the appropriate package to the edge node (A Hadoop cluster setup with at least one edge node. The edge node is the interface between the Hadoop cluster and external servers.).

I am new to hortonworks and trying to find where is the edge node folder where i can copy this package. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Suno

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

Hi @suno bella, edge node refers to a dedicated node (machine) where no Hadoop services are running, and where you install only so-called Hadoop clients (hdfs, Hive, HBase etc. clients). In your case your BI tool will also play a role of a Hadoop client. A client means that only respective component client libraries and scripts will be installed, together with its config files. If you change config through Ambari, then Ambari will automatically refresh config files on the edge node as well. In a small, test cluster without an edge node you can select one node where Hadoop services are running (for example, a master node) to play a role of your edge node. (In a large cluster with many users there are usually multiple edge nodes.) As the "edge node folder" you can use any folder on the edge node you decide to use. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Master Guru

Hi @suno bella, edge node refers to a dedicated node (machine) where no Hadoop services are running, and where you install only so-called Hadoop clients (hdfs, Hive, HBase etc. clients). In your case your BI tool will also play a role of a Hadoop client. A client means that only respective component client libraries and scripts will be installed, together with its config files. If you change config through Ambari, then Ambari will automatically refresh config files on the edge node as well. In a small, test cluster without an edge node you can select one node where Hadoop services are running (for example, a master node) to play a role of your edge node. (In a large cluster with many users there are usually multiple edge nodes.) As the "edge node folder" you can use any folder on the edge node you decide to use. Hope this helps.

Explorer

Hi @Predrag Minovic, thanks for reply, so does that mean i can create a new directory and copy my BI files there under apps using ambari interface?

Master Guru

You need to check instructions for your BI tool but I believe it means to create a directory in your local file system (Linux) on your edge node and copy the package there, not in HDFS, and no need to use Ambari for that.

Explorer

@Predrag MinovicThis makes sense to me but in my case i am using hortonworks vm, which means i have to make changes there..rite? so in that case what's my edge node?

Master Guru

No problems, in that case your Hortonworks VM will be your edge node. Just create a new folder under /usr/share for example.

Explorer

@Predrag Minovic thanks for your quick responses

Master Guru

@suno bella, no problems, if you found my answers useful please consider to accept and/or up-vote my first answer above. Thanks!