Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Host file

Hi gurus,

Is there a way to identify which is the address to set in the host file? I am trying with 127.0.0.1 and I am getting errors, all the time. I would like to set an address and be able to configure the node in cloudera manager.

Thanks a lot,

Regards,

22 REPLIES 22

Champion

@mbigelow  it come be a dumb question please bear with me . 

is it mandatory to use  fully qualified domain name ? because we dont not mention them in any of the hadoop configuration files. when it comes to networking not really my area. could you clarify 

Champion
@csguna no it isn't a requirement. They just all need to resolved the same on all hosts. For me it is about keeping it within enterprise standards and like I said I usually use DNS, which usually contains multiple zones. As a user of it, it find it cleaner to have and . use the FQDN versus just the hostname when it comes to the URLs (although alias can be used as well).

Thanks,

Just a question, file /etc/sysconfig/network does not exist, should I create from scratch?

Champion

which operating system are you using ?

if you are using ubuntu

it should be

/etc/network/,

/etc/network/interfaces

if you are using Centos do an ls command - below directory

/etc/sysconfig/

you should see one as network .

I am using Ubuntu 14.04. I have a a folder with name /etc/network but no file inside. Should I directly create it? How should I name it?

Thanks a lot,

Kind regards,

Champion

if you want to change the hostname then do either one of the following 

sudo nano /etc/hostname

or

sudo vi  /etc/hostname

then restart the machine 

to check your hostname after restart - open the terminal and type 

hostname

To configure IP address do the following 

sudo nano /etc/hosts

I have already done this and after checked those file, I can see that the host has changed.

However, I can´t still access to cloudera manager web...is there something else I should do?

Thanks a lot,

Kind regards,

Champion

are you using vm ?

what error are u getting when you try to hit cloduera manager ? 

Champion
Ok, the hosts file on the cluster nodes doesn't impact the CM UI. Check the CM logs for any errors (/var/log/cloudera-scm-server/).

Get the IP address from the CM host and use that in the URL (http://<cm_ip>:7180). You can also verify that CM is runnning (ps -ef | grep cloudera-scm-server) and that it is listening on the right port (sudo netstat -alpn | grep :7180). You can also try access it from the CM host itself (curl http://localhost:7180).

That will help to see if it is working without messing with name resolution.

Champion

@mbigelowThanks for the information , will follow the same and adher the  standards.