Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

How can I create a simple topology? I want to write this program using python on the hortonworks shell.

Expert Contributor

I'm new to Storm so, please suggest me where to start typing this piece of code and methods to save and execute it on the hortonworks shell. Any suggestions to get started will be helpful. Thanks in advance for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor
@keerthana gajarajakumar

this is how I started learning Storm. Link. Feel free to try it and report any issues. Michael Noll's blog is an excellent resource on Storm and now Kafka. I built my first Hadoop cluster thanks to his site. He has some beginner posts Here

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

Master Mentor

Expert Contributor

thanks @Neeraj Sabharwal -- are u suggesting that I can modify this code on the hortonworks shell?

Master Mentor

@keerthana gajarajakumar You can run smoke test to just test.

Expert Contributor

ok. Is there a way for me to code a program from scratch using the shell?

Expert Contributor

@Artem Ervits -- Hi Artem.. Can you help me out with this question?

Master Mentor

Expert Contributor

Thanks Neeraj.

Master Mentor

@keerthana gajarajakumar That tutorial has java code and end to end integration. You can replicate in your environment.

Expert Contributor

Hi Neeraj -- Thanks. Below listed is a modified version of the code that I guess would print out spout and bolt to stdout on execution. Now this jar file is within my root dir .. But I'm getting errors while executing it on the shell.. Can you suggest how I can overcome this?

storm jar StormTest.jar ExclamationTopology

Error: Could not find or load main class ExclamationTopology