Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How can I enable S3 request logging?

Explorer

Hello,

I am using Zeppelin and Spark to run query data sitting on Amazon S3. The code itself is so simple which is something like querying Hive external table on S3 with SparkSQL.

Here I have some difficulty with it and suspecting I am exceeding S3 rate limit as described here: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/dev/request-rate-perf-considerations.html If so that could be confirmed by error message from S3 which says 'rate limit exceeded' with HTTP Status Code: 503. So I would like to enable logging in aws java sdk which is used in Spark.

I put the line below in my log4j.properties of Spark according to the AWS document: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/sdk-for-java/v1/developer-guide/java-dg-logging.html

log4j.logger.com.amazonaws.request=DEBUG

I'm assuming logs can be found in container(executor)'s log so would be aggregated by YARN's log aggregation services, but it's not emitted in that log.

Where can I find these logs? Or Am I going wrong way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rising Star

You can edit spark configs in ambari and add the following lines.

10725-screen-shot-2016-12-23-at-50154-am.png

- Restart spark/zeppelin services.

- Run a simple query in S3 via zeppelin notebook

- Note down the yarn application launched for Zeppelin ("yarn top" from cli) can help identify that.

- S3 debug messages would be available in the yarn logs. You might have to stop zeppelin for the app to finish and ensure you have permission to view yarn logs via "yarn logs -applicationId <appId>" for this application.

e.g messages

16/12/22 23:30:25 DEBUG AmazonWebServiceClient: Internal logging succesfully configured to commons logger: true 16/12/22 23:30:25 DEBUG AwsSdkMetrics: Admin mbean registered under com.amazonaws.management:type=AwsSdkMetrics

16/12/22 23:30:26 DEBUG requestId: x-amzn-RequestId: not available 16/12/22 23:30:26 DEBUG request: Received successful response: 200, AWS Request ID:...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Rising Star

You can edit spark configs in ambari and add the following lines.

10725-screen-shot-2016-12-23-at-50154-am.png

- Restart spark/zeppelin services.

- Run a simple query in S3 via zeppelin notebook

- Note down the yarn application launched for Zeppelin ("yarn top" from cli) can help identify that.

- S3 debug messages would be available in the yarn logs. You might have to stop zeppelin for the app to finish and ensure you have permission to view yarn logs via "yarn logs -applicationId <appId>" for this application.

e.g messages

16/12/22 23:30:25 DEBUG AmazonWebServiceClient: Internal logging succesfully configured to commons logger: true 16/12/22 23:30:25 DEBUG AwsSdkMetrics: Admin mbean registered under com.amazonaws.management:type=AwsSdkMetrics

16/12/22 23:30:26 DEBUG requestId: x-amzn-RequestId: not available 16/12/22 23:30:26 DEBUG request: Received successful response: 200, AWS Request ID:...

Explorer

@Rajesh Balamohan Thanks! It works as expected.