Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How can I set primary key and reference foreign keys while creating a table / external table in hive?

Expert Contributor

external-table-error.pngI'm getting the following error:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@keerthana gajarajakumar hive is not a replacement for EDW or RDBMS there is no concept of foreign key.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Expert Contributor

Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions.

Master Mentor

@keerthana gajarajakumar hive is not a replacement for EDW or RDBMS there is no concept of foreign key.

Master Mentor
@keerthana gajarajakumar

It's not there yet but eventually we will get there.

See this https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-6905

Master Mentor

@Neeraj Sabharwal duplicate link dude

Expert Contributor

@Artem Ervits -- do you have any suggestion to overcome this error? I'm unable to make updates to the following table:update-error.png

Master Mentor

@keerthana gajarajakumar take a look at ACID support in Hive, we have some support for ACID but it's not fully working yet.

Expert Contributor

@Artem Ervits - Thanks. I'd like to update hive-site.xml with the following statements. Where can I find hive-site.xml within the hortonworks web interface?

Master Mentor

@keerthana gajarajakumar you can find those properties in configuration section of ambari under Hive service. they are most likely not there so you will need to add them to the properties in the custom hive-site section.

Expert Contributor

@Artem Ervits - I was able to find all the settings under hive service . Thanks!