Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How do I load previously finished NiFi templates from the template management window onto a clean canvas?

Contributor

Techies,

Can someone please tell me how to do the following 2 things:

1. Clear the flow diagramming canvas of all previous dataflows.

2. Load an existing template onto the diagramming canvas workspace.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Mentor

@Paula DiTallo

1. Everything you configure in NiFi (Processors, connections, input ports, output ports, Remote Process groups, funnels, Controller services, reporting tasks, etc...) is contained within the flow.xml.gz file (by default located in NiFi's conf directory). You can clear the canvas in a couple ways:

• Select all components the canvas and click "delete" key. (Depending on connections, some components may not delete first time.) All connections must be absent of any queued data. All Processors must be stopped. This method will not delete any controller services, reporting tasks, or imported templates (these must be removed manually).
  • Stop NiFi and delete the flow.xml.gz file. On next restart, a new blank flow.xml.gz file will be generated. Any FlowFiles that were still queued in NiFi will be deleted during start-up. This method will remove all components including controller services, reporting tasks, and imported templates.

2. User need to use the "upload template" icon found in the "Operate Panel" found to the left of the canvas. Once the template has been uploaded, it can be instantiated on to the canvas by dragging the "Template" icon form the top menu bar in the NIFi UI to the canvas.

Thanks,

Matt

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Contributor

For others behind me: I found this advice on clearing off the canvas here.

From what I can tell, you can not select a previous template from the template management window. There is another template icon next to the funnel icon. Drag it over to the canvas. You'll see a drop down which lists the templates. The one you select will be instantiated.

Super Mentor

@Paula DiTallo

1. Everything you configure in NiFi (Processors, connections, input ports, output ports, Remote Process groups, funnels, Controller services, reporting tasks, etc...) is contained within the flow.xml.gz file (by default located in NiFi's conf directory). You can clear the canvas in a couple ways:

• Select all components the canvas and click "delete" key. (Depending on connections, some components may not delete first time.) All connections must be absent of any queued data. All Processors must be stopped. This method will not delete any controller services, reporting tasks, or imported templates (these must be removed manually).
  • Stop NiFi and delete the flow.xml.gz file. On next restart, a new blank flow.xml.gz file will be generated. Any FlowFiles that were still queued in NiFi will be deleted during start-up. This method will remove all components including controller services, reporting tasks, and imported templates.

2. User need to use the "upload template" icon found in the "Operate Panel" found to the left of the canvas. Once the template has been uploaded, it can be instantiated on to the canvas by dragging the "Template" icon form the top menu bar in the NIFi UI to the canvas.

Thanks,

Matt