Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How do you write a RDD as a tab delimited file in pyspark?

Contributor

I have a RDD I'd like to write as tab delimited. I also want to write a data frame as tab delimited. How do I do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

Try this, but this version is for version 1.5 and up

data.write.format('com.databricks.spark.csv').options(delimiter="\t", codec="org.apache.hadoop.io.compress.GzipCodec").save('s3a://myBucket/myPath')

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Super Collaborator

Is your RDD an RDD of strings?

On the second part of the question, if you are using the spark-csv, the package supports saving simple (non-nested) DataFrame. There is an option to specify the delimiter which is , by default but can be changed.

eg - .save('filename.csv', 'com.databricks.spark.csv',delimiter="DELIM")

Master Guru

@Binu Mathew do you have any thoughts?

Super Collaborator

Could you provide more details on the your RDD that you would like to save tab delimited? On the question about storing the DataFrames as a tab delimited file, below is what I have in scala using the package spark-csv

df.write.format("com.databricks.spark.csv").option("delimiter", "\t").save("output path")

EDIT With the RDD of tuples, as you mentioned, either you could join by "\t" on the tuple or use mkString if you prefer not to use an additional library. On your RDD of tuple you could do something like

.map { x =>x.productIterator.mkString("\t") }.saveAsTextFile("path-to-store")

@Don Jernigan

Contributor

Essentially I have a python tuple ('a','b','c','x','y','z') that are all strings. I could just map them into a single concatenation of ('a\tb\tc\tx\ty\tz'), then saveAsTextFile(path). But I was wondering if there was a better way than using an external package which could just be encapsulating that .map(lambda x: "\t'".join(x) ).

Super Collaborator

I guess, if the data set does not contain a '\t' char then '\t'.join and saveAsTextFile should work for you. Else, you just need to wrap the strings within " as with normal CSVs.

Contributor

Try this, but this version is for version 1.5 and up

data.write.format('com.databricks.spark.csv').options(delimiter="\t", codec="org.apache.hadoop.io.compress.GzipCodec").save('s3a://myBucket/myPath')