Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How hadoop can contribute in detecting frauds in banking sector.

New Contributor

I am working as DBA in Banking Sector and started learning Hadoop, Am wondering "How hadoop is useful to detect whether a fraud is happen or not in banking sector ?"

Can anyone list some traditional softwares used to detect Fraud in Banking Sector before Big Data Technology ?

How Cloudera Hadoop is useful compared to traditional approaches ?

Presently Am using Cloudera Hadoop, how can I use this software for data analytics? Do I need to use Flume or third party software for detecting and preventing frauds in banking sector ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Guru

@VINNU Hadoop is a platform and framework for data storage, processing, search, etc.  It provides the tools to handle massive amounts of data in a fast, scalable manner, but it does not come with native tools to handle specific use cases such as you are describing.  You will have to write your own application that knows how to detect fraudulent banking activity and then utilize hadoop to run that application over your data set.  

Hadoop is really just the core HDFS and Mapreduce projects for storage of data and batch processing of it.  However, there is a rich ecosystem of complimentary projects around Hadoop, such as Apache Mahout, which are geared toward specific tasks.  Mahout, for example is an advanced machine learning/analytics tool which can be used to build applications such as you are describing and then you run those applications in your hadoop cluster against your data, which you have loaded into HDFS.

I hope this helps somewhat

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Guru

@VINNU Hadoop is a platform and framework for data storage, processing, search, etc.  It provides the tools to handle massive amounts of data in a fast, scalable manner, but it does not come with native tools to handle specific use cases such as you are describing.  You will have to write your own application that knows how to detect fraudulent banking activity and then utilize hadoop to run that application over your data set.  

Hadoop is really just the core HDFS and Mapreduce projects for storage of data and batch processing of it.  However, there is a rich ecosystem of complimentary projects around Hadoop, such as Apache Mahout, which are geared toward specific tasks.  Mahout, for example is an advanced machine learning/analytics tool which can be used to build applications such as you are describing and then you run those applications in your hadoop cluster against your data, which you have loaded into HDFS.

I hope this helps somewhat

New Contributor

Thanx for your reply