Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to SSH into HortonWorks Sandbox using Putty?

New Contributor

Hi!

I have successfully downloaded and installed Hortonworks Sandbox. And i can bring it up in the Oracle Virtual Box. Now, i want to SSH into it. I am using Putty, i am n Windows 7. But every time i try to login as 'root' with password 'hadoop'; it says access denied. Could anyone please provide any pointers as to what could be going wrong? Screenshots below.

Thanks, in advance.

904-sandbox.png

905-putty1.png

906-putty2.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

Goto terminal of your sandbox in oracle virtualBox --> Press <Alt+F5> --> enter username - root --> enter password - hadoop --> it will ask you to set new password --> set new password --> then try to login via putty using new credentials

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Explorer

Hi,

If you ssh xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -p 22 you'll be in Centos and you'll be able to use root. For this, use with ALT+F5 or putty.

If you ssh xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -p 2222 you'll be connected to the sandbox (ie docker). In docker, you'll be able to use the predefined accounts (maria_dev, raj_ops, ... ) but not root... guess why ;-).

Explorer

I have tried this just now after what "indrajeet gour Nov 17, 2016 at 07:21 PM suggested."

What you do is: In your VM Player 12 and HDP 2.5, login using root / hadoop credentials. Then use passwd command and change the password to laurent1 (for example). Exit. Re-login using root / hadoop in VM Player. It will not allow you because you changed the password. Re-login using laurent1 password, it will work!

You can use the new credentials for Putty SSH port 22 and port 2222. Default maria_dev and raj_ops get eliminated because of passwd command. You can also use ssh xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -p 22 or 2222 with new password laurent1. It will work.

New Contributor

Hi all... i was facing the same issue but my issue has been resolved by just only changing the port from 22 to 2222.

try 2222 ssh port if you are not able to connect on 22 ssh port.

Contributor

Hello all, i download virtualbox sandbox appliance & started successfully; however like to configure new ip address as assign 2 adapter -NAT, Host only- i observed sandbox host is not getting IP address; can someone advise me pls

Contributor

seems 2 adapter is not accepting?