Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

How to change the default Java version?

Solved Go to solution

How to change the default Java version?

New Contributor

I am new to Hadoop and started learning it, but have some beginners problems with the setup. I had HDP 2.2 with JDK 1.7 and i tried to execute map reduce coded with 1.8. And i realized that HDP 2.2 does not support JDK 1.8 and i have upgraded it to HDP 2.3. When i execute Java -Version, i am still getting Java 1.7. As per the directions in HDP, i have used ambari-server setup to download JDK 1.8 and even after that Java -version is showing 1.7. How to make it use JDK 1.8 as the default?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to change the default Java version?

You might have to change the current java version by using

/usr/sbin/alternatives --config java

This will change the java version for the whole system and not just Ambari and the HDP components.

5 REPLIES 5

Mentor

@Sairam Rachuri in your IDE make sure your code is set to sources 1.8.

New Contributor

Thanks@Ali Bajwa and @Artem Ervits. I tried Ali's suggestion and it still shows that Java 1.7 when i do Java -version. But, i got a different error when I ran the mapred program in the terminal. Now it says that i don't have the write access on the file/directory i am trying to write. I need to check that.

When i run the same in Hue, i get a message that 'Output directory not set in JobConf.' I am researching on this error now.

Mentor

you need to set output directory in your job

FileInputFormat.addInputPath(job, new Path(otherArgs.get(0)));
    FileOutputFormat.setOutputPath(job, new Path(otherArgs.get(1)));

You might have to change the current java version by using

/usr/sbin/alternatives --config java

This will change the java version for the whole system and not just Ambari and the HDP components.