Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to connect to Hive with pyhive on Windows

New Contributor

I've been racking my brain for the past couple of days attempting to connect to a Hive server with a Python client using pyhive on Windows. I'm new to Hive (pyhive too for that matter), but am a reasonably experienced Python dev. Invariably I get the following error:

(pyhive-test) C:\dev\sandbox\pyhive-test>python test.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "test.py", line 3, in <module>
conn = hive.Connection(host='192.168.1.196', port='10000', database='default', auth='NONE')
File "C:\Users\harnerd\Anaconda3\envs\pyhive-test\lib\site-packages\pyhive\hive.py", line 192, in __init__
self._transport.open()
File "C:\Users\harnerd\Anaconda3\envs\pyhive-test\lib\site-packages\thrift_sasl\__init__.py", line 84, in open
raise TTransportException(type=TTransportException.NOT_OPEN,
thrift.transport.TTransport.TTransportException: Could not start SASL: b'Error in sasl_client_start (-4) SASL(-4): no mechanism available: Unable to find a callback: 2'

when executing the following script:

from pyhive import hive

conn = hive.Connection(host='192.168.1.196', port='10000', database='default', auth='NONE')
cur = conn.cursor()
cur.execute('show tables')
data = cur.fetchall()
print(data)

The HiveServer2 instance is an out-of-the-box HDP Sandbox VM from Cloudera with HiveServer2 Authentication set to 'None'.

Client is an Anaconda virtual environment on Windows 10 with Python 3.8.5 and the following packages installed by conda:

- pyhive 0.6.1
- sasl 0.2.1
- thrift 0.13.0
- thrift-sasl 0.4.2

Right now I'm merely trying to connect to Hive with the script above, but ultimately I intend to use pyhive within SQLAlchemy in a Flask application. In other words: Flask -> Flask-SQLAlchemy -> SQLAlchemy -> pyhive. In production the Flask app will be hosted by Cloudera Data Science Workbench (i.e. some flavor of Linux), but will be developed (and therefore must also run) on Windows systems.

Of course I've looked at the many questions here, on Cloudera's site, and GitHub relating to Hive connection problems and if someone put a gun to my head I would have to say that trying this from a Windows client may be part of the problem as that doesn't seem to be a very common thing to do.

0 REPLIES 0