Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to fetch rows from a table in parallel when nifi cluster

Expert Contributor

Hi:

From google :

If you are using NiFi 1.0 you can use the GenerateTableFetch processor. It allows you to choose the "page" (aka partition) size, and will generate SQL statements, each of which will grab one "page" of data. You can route those into ExecuteSQL and it will retrieve smaller sets of results at a time. If you have a NiFi cluster, you can route GenerateTableFetch into a Remote Process Group that points at an Input Port on the same cluster, (which will distribute the SQL statements across the cluster), then the Input Port can be connected to the ExecuteSQL. This allows you to fetch rows from a table in parallel

I have three nodes on my nifi cluster, I follow the post, put GenerateTableFetch on primary node(test01) to execute, and then send to remote process group on the same cluster. then output port to ExecuteSQL.

But the actual behavior is ExecuteSQL was execute just in one node (test02, or test 03, or tes01).

My question is how to fetch rows from a table in parallel(test02, and test 03, and tes01) .

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Mentor

@Paul Yang

1. There is an existing open Jira for being able to adjust the batch size of Site-to-Site. (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-1202)

2. NiFi does not restrict how many RPGs can be added to the canvas. What is important to understand is that NiFi Nodes do not know about one another. Each runs the dataflow. When using RPGs to pull data from an output port, every node is running that RPG and every node is requesting FlowFiles. When one of those nodes connects the cluster informs that connecting instances that x number of FlowFile are currently queued to that output port and that Node will pull them all. so you get much better load-balance behavior forma push to an input port (yet still done in batches of 100).

3. Two suggestions come to mind:

a. Reduce the configured "partition size" value in your GenerateTableFetch processor so more FlowFiles are generated which should then get better load balanced across you nodes.

b. Instead of using S2S, build a load-balanced dataflow that is hard-coded to deliver data to each node as follows:

9065-screen-shot-2016-11-02-at-35115-pm.png

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Expert Contributor

Hi

This is very emergency for me.Why should choice the cluster mode If I cannot distribute sql statement to every node in the cluster?

Who can give me any idea?

Thanks in advance!

Super Mentor

@Paul Yang

Are you trying to have every node in your cluster execute the same SQL statements? or are you trying to evenly distribute all the generated SQL statements across your cluster so that every node runs different SQL statements?

Expert Contributor
@mclark

Every node distribute run different SQL that meet my requirement.

I do this nifi flow picture.

8638-20161018091525.png

the GenerateTableFetch execute on primary node to keep the sql is not replicate. I try to distribute the sql statements then send it to a remote progress group, But the processor on one node got all sql statements in the queued. So I cant got effect that distribute sql statements to every node.

So, could you give me some advice to implement execute different sql distribute?

Thanks

Super Mentor

@Paul Yang

I am a little confused by the screen shot you have provided.

You have your GenerateTableFetch processor connected to a Remote Process Group (RPG) which is feeding that an input port more_table_input_port...

but you also have that same RPG connected to your ExecuteSQL processor.

You flow should look more like this:

8871-screen-shot-2016-10-25-at-91616-am.png

The RPG will distribute data smartly based on reported load on each node in your cluster.

Thanks,

Matt

Expert Contributor

@mclark

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I follow your picture of nifi data flow. got the load balance smartly of data, But It seem your picture be implement in root flow. Because input port => more_table_ino... must be placed to root process group. the picture will very confused if to do more table ingest . Because the best way for me is every department or every business one process group.

So could you give some advise to avoid the issue?

Thanks,

Paul

Super Mentor

@Paul Yang

What you have here is very light data flow based on the picture shown.

The NiFi RPG will send data in batches of up to 100 for efficiency. So if the input queue has less then 100 files in it when it runs, all of those FlowFile will be routed to a single Node. On next run the next batch would go to a different node. Over time if the dataflow rate is constant, the data should be balanced across your nodes.

If i am understanding what you have here, you are feeding the RPG that feeds an input port. That input port feeds an output port. Then you can use various RPGs anywhere in your flow to pull data from that output port. correct?

The problem with this is that the RPG runs on every Node. so when a node connects he will try to pull all the files he sees on that connection. Nodes are not aware of how many nodes exist in its cluster and will not say I should only pull x amount so the other nodes can pull the same. Each node acts in a a vacuum and pulls as much data as fast as it can from the output port.

I would suggest instead having your remote input port (root level input port) feed its success relationship multiple times in the various sub process groups owned by your various departments. Not only will this provide a better load-balanced delivery of data in the cluster, but it will also improve performance.

Thanks,

Matt

Expert Contributor

@mclark

Thanks for your detailed answers.

For us, we expect there are like 2 flow files will be routed to a single Node, and other 2 flow files be routed to another Node. For load balance: This is perfect for handling the execute sql that select 100W records.

To load balance the SQl flow file , the constant of 100 flow files of RPG is so large.

My question

1. how to configure the 100 files to 2 files etc in one node that you mentioned.

2. how many RPG is recommend in one cluster with 3 node?

3. Is there another method to implement load balance of ExecuteSQL ?

Thanks.

Paul

Super Mentor

@Paul Yang

1. There is an existing open Jira for being able to adjust the batch size of Site-to-Site. (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-1202)

2. NiFi does not restrict how many RPGs can be added to the canvas. What is important to understand is that NiFi Nodes do not know about one another. Each runs the dataflow. When using RPGs to pull data from an output port, every node is running that RPG and every node is requesting FlowFiles. When one of those nodes connects the cluster informs that connecting instances that x number of FlowFile are currently queued to that output port and that Node will pull them all. so you get much better load-balance behavior forma push to an input port (yet still done in batches of 100).

3. Two suggestions come to mind:

a. Reduce the configured "partition size" value in your GenerateTableFetch processor so more FlowFiles are generated which should then get better load balanced across you nodes.

b. Instead of using S2S, build a load-balanced dataflow that is hard-coded to deliver data to each node as follows:

9065-screen-shot-2016-11-02-at-35115-pm.png

Expert Contributor

@mclark

Thanks for your detailed answers.

Paul