Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to remove Ranger KMS from the cluster

Expert Contributor

I installed Ranger and Ranger KMS on a cluster. Ranger started fine but Ranger KMS is failing to start, so i would like to remove it for now and install it later.

So I tried to remove it using the following command

FALBDCDQ0001V:~#curl -u admin:xxxxxx -H "X-Requested-By: ambari" -X DELETE http://localhost:8080/api/v1/clusters/hwtest/services/RANGER_KMS

but it failed to remove with the following exception

"status" : 500, "message" : "org.apache.ambari.server.controller.spi.SystemException: An internal system exception occurred: Cannot remove hwtest/RANGER_KMS. RANGER_KMS_SERVER is in a non-removable state."

I logged into the Ambari database to see if Ranger KMS is in a good state to remove. but the desired_state is showing as started eventhough it failed to start. So I updated the state using the following command and tried to remove the service again but i still got the same error as above.

update servicedesiredstate set desired_state='INSTALLED' where service_name='RANGER_KMS';

Here is the error when I try to restart Ranger KMS ..

2016-02-05 17:12:37,755 - Error : unknown url type: falbdcdq0001v.farmersinsurance.com
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/RANGER_KMS/0.5.0.2.3/package/scripts/kms_server.py", line 82, in <module>
    KmsServer().execute()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/script/script.py", line 216, in execute
    method(env)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/script/script.py", line 484, in restart
    self.start(env)
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/RANGER_KMS/0.5.0.2.3/package/scripts/kms_server.py", line 55, in start
    enable_kms_plugin()
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/RANGER_KMS/0.5.0.2.3/package/scripts/kms.py", line 274, in enable_kms_plugin
    raise Fail('Ranger service is not started on given host')   
resource_management.core.exceptions.Fail: Ranger service is not started on given host

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

1898-image.jpeg

@Ram D

You have to disable above entries

Very important

You can leverage rest api to delete ranger kms

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Master Mentor

1898-image.jpeg

@Ram D

You have to disable above entries

Very important

You can leverage rest api to delete ranger kms

Expert Contributor

Hi @Neeraj Sabharwal

I checked those two entries on ambari both of them set to blank. There are no values for those two entries. What exactly you mean by disable them?

Master Mentor

@rbalam

Remove those entries otherwise other processes will keep looking for kms

Expert Contributor

sorry if it is a dumb question but how do i remove those entries from Ambari? I dont see any option to delete.

Master Mentor

@rbalam Sorry , I was on the road ..

see this

curl --user admin:admin -i -H "X-Requested-By: ambari" -X DELETE http://`hostname -f`:8080/api/v1/clusters/CLUSTERNAME/services/RANGER_KMS

refresh ambari

now search for KMS in filter under HDFS and you may see those entries that I shared in snapshot. Delete the entries by removing their values and save it ..Entries will go away by its own after save

Master Mentor

@rbalam you should see - option next to it

Expert Contributor

I dont any option to remove this hadoop.security.key.provider.path. please see the attached image

1925-rangerkms-key.png

Contributor

I would recommend you to change the "desired_state" in the table "servicecomponentdesiredstate" under ambari database.

You can update the values where service_name = 'RANGER_KMS'.