Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to reset the admin password of the Cloudera Manager

Explorer

When I connect to 'http://xxx.xxx.xxx:7180/cmf/login' I can see the login screen but any user/password combination that I use fails.

I've tried to change the "users" table on the "scm" database to "ffa2eb4251b38e069e968890cb2bcdb6229982322f5ed2470bf96231fe4c39c8" and -4382599614486590865 to try to reset the passwd of admin but nothing works.

cloudera-scm-server.log adds a new line for each login try:

"INFO scm-web-114:com.cloudera.server.web.cmf.AuthenticationFailureEventListener: Authentication failure for user: 'admin' from 111.222.333.111"

If I try some random user the error is the same (minus the user).

Could Kerberos or Sentry have anything to do with this?

Thank you

Gonçalo Redondo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Explorer

I was using the wrong reset admin password and salt.

The version that I found searching the internet only worked for version 4. For version 5(.8?) and 6 we must use the following:

UPDATE users SET password_hash = '9f7e3270b1aaa4931d38845a0334e66b2dd93f916439006fac4e5e2535a444b3', password_salt = -5357030608435271136 WHERE user_name = 'admin';

I used the following:

UPDATE users SET password_hash = 'ffa2eb4251b38e069e968890cb2bcdb6229982322f5ed2470bf96231fe4c39c8', password_salt = -4382599614486590865 WHERE user_name = 'admin';

and that did not work. It seems this one is only valid for version 4.

Found the solution on:

Re: reset cdm (5.8) password

unfortunately I had tested the old version first and it didn't work so I went searching for another solution besides reseting the admin password.

I can now login. What I can't understand is what happened that invalidated my previous password but I will not dwell into that as I already lost way to much time on this problem.

Thank you for the help.

Gonçalo

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Guru

Hi @gredondo ,

Is this a new Cloudera Manager server? Have you ever been able to login through the UI before? What is the CM version? What authentication method you chose for the "Authentication Backend Order"? The doc explains this are here:

https://docs.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/latest/topics/cm_ag_user_accnts.html#concept_kby_...

and

https://docs.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/latest/topics/cm_sg_external_auth.html

If you are using Database authentication, then most likely you can reset the password by following below knowledge article:

https://my.cloudera.com/knowledge/How-to-reset-Cloudera-Manager-Admin-Password?id=76803

Thanks and hope this helps,

Li

Li Wang, Technical Solution Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

Explorer

Hi @lwang,

The CM version is 6.3.1.

This Cloudera Manager server is new (it's being configured and tested). I was able to login through the UI until very recently (since the installation a couple of weeks ago). I always logged with the admin account.

Originally the server had neither Kerberos nor Sentry so I believe it was using the "scm" database. Last week I tried to activate kerberos and was able to continue using the Cloudera Manager Web UI.

Today I tried to activate the "Sentry" service, for usage with Hive, and was around that time that the login stopped working. I am not sure that's the cause but it's a possibility.

Thank you very much for the docs you sent me but I cannot follow them as I don't have access to the Cloudera Manager interface.

I read the first doc and a few things sounded promising:

"You can configure Cloudera Manager to authenticate users against the Cloudera Manager database or against an external authentication service"

- I would like very much to authenticate against the CM database. Is it possible to configure it with the command line?

"Users accounts in the Cloudera Manager database page show Cloudera Manager in the User Type column. User accounts in an LDAP directory or other external authentication mechanism show External in the User Type column."

- I tried to find the column in the scm database but I couldn't find it. It it only visible on the web page?

The third link sounded very promising but I cannot access it. It ask me to sign in but if I try to do it I get the error "The page isn’t redirecting properly".

Thank you very much for the help, Gonçalo Redondo

Explorer

I was using the wrong reset admin password and salt.

The version that I found searching the internet only worked for version 4. For version 5(.8?) and 6 we must use the following:

UPDATE users SET password_hash = '9f7e3270b1aaa4931d38845a0334e66b2dd93f916439006fac4e5e2535a444b3', password_salt = -5357030608435271136 WHERE user_name = 'admin';

I used the following:

UPDATE users SET password_hash = 'ffa2eb4251b38e069e968890cb2bcdb6229982322f5ed2470bf96231fe4c39c8', password_salt = -4382599614486590865 WHERE user_name = 'admin';

and that did not work. It seems this one is only valid for version 4.

Found the solution on:

Re: reset cdm (5.8) password

unfortunately I had tested the old version first and it didn't work so I went searching for another solution besides reseting the admin password.

I can now login. What I can't understand is what happened that invalidated my previous password but I will not dwell into that as I already lost way to much time on this problem.

Thank you for the help.

Gonçalo

Guru

Hi @gredondo ,

Glad to hear you were able to find the right password and salt. That was included in the article I posted earlier.

I am not quite sure what happened to cause your issue, but I think a good way to resolve the issue next time is: make a good backup of your CM database so you have a "working" username and password in the db.

Thanks and please mark this thread as resolved when you get a chance.

Li

Li Wang, Technical Solution Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum