Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

How to run HQL file in Spark

Solved Go to solution

How to run HQL file in Spark

New Contributor

I want to read a hql file in spark job. This hql creates a table by joining 3-4 other tables.

I don't want to write the sql statement in the spark job instead I want to pass HQL file as an argument to spark job and then run the hql file.

Is it possible in Spark ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to run HQL file in Spark

New Contributor

We can use below Scala API to read file:

sqlContext.sql(scala.io.Source.fromFile("/vzhome/agaram8/HQLScripts/count.hql").getLines

8 REPLIES 8

@Amit Kumar Agarwal

If you are looking to do it from a program then try something like the below:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31313361/sparksql-hql-script-in-file-to-be-loaded-on-python-code

New Contributor

This link explains how to execute hive sql using spark-sql shell. But I want to the call the file programatically not through shell.

New Contributor

I went through this Stackoverflow link, but I don't see any 'open' API in spark...getting compiler error...

"open" is not a spark api command, it is a python command. What language are you using? Replace open("file.hql").read() with the equivalent command/code-block in that language.

Highlighted

New Contributor

I'm using scala..couldn't find equivalent "open" API in scala.

New Contributor

We can use below Scala API to read file:

sqlContext.sql(scala.io.Source.fromFile("/vzhome/agaram8/HQLScripts/count.hql").getLines

New Contributor

Hi

Amit Kumar Agarwal

I am looking to run Hive HQL from SPARK SQL.. could you please provide the guidance for same.

Thanks,

Deepesh

deepeshnema@gmail.com