Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

How to set the authority/right of Atlas Web UI User?

Solved Go to solution
Highlighted

How to set the authority/right of Atlas Web UI User?

New Contributor

I want to add a new user account for atlas Web UI, so I append a line text into <atlas-conf>/users-credentials.properties

zte=ADMIN::8d969eef6ecad3c29a3a629280e686cf0c3f5d5a86aff3ca12020c923adc6c92

This means that, the user name is zte, and the password is 123456.

But when I login in the Atlas Web UI by using this user name and password, it shown like this:

6990-zteuser.jpg

The tips which on the top right of this screenshot showed that, this account are not authorized for READ *.

So, how can I set the authority/right of my new user account ?

Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to set the authority/right of Atlas Web UI User?

@Ethan HsiehTwo authorization methods are available for Atlas: Simple and Ranger.

Simple Authorization

The default setting is Simple, and the following properties are automatically set under Advanced application-properties on the Advanced tab.

Table: Apache Atlas Simple Authorization

PropertyValue
atlas.authorizer.implsimple
atlas.auth.policy.file{{conf_dir}}/policy-store.txt

The policy-store.txt file has the following format:

Policy_Name;;User_Name:Operations_Allowed;;Group_Name:Operations_Allowed;;Resource_Type:Resource_Name

For example:

adminPolicy;;admin:rwud;;ROLE_ADMIN:rwud;;type:*,entity:*,operation:*,taxonomy:*,term:*
userReadPolicy;;readUser1:r,readUser2:r;;DATA_SCIENTIST:r;;type:*,entity:*,operation:*,taxonomy:*,term:*
userWritePolicy;;writeUser1:rwu,writeUser2:rwu;;BUSINESS_GROUP:rwu,DATA_STEWARD:rwud;;type:*,entity:*,operation:*,taxonomy:*,term:*

In this example readUser1, readUser2, writeUser1 and writeUser2 are the user IDs, each with its corresponding access rights. The User_Name, Group_Name and Operations_Allowed are comma-separated lists.

Authorizer Resource Types:

• Operation
  • Type
  • Entity
  • Taxonomy
  • Term
  • Unknown

Operations_Allowed are r = read, w = write, u = update, d = delete

Let me know if you have Ranger enabled in your cluster, different operations would be needed for Ranger authorization.

12 REPLIES 12

@Ethan HsiehTwo authorization methods are available for Atlas: Simple and Ranger.

Simple Authorization

The default setting is Simple, and the following properties are automatically set under Advanced application-properties on the Advanced tab.

Table: Apache Atlas Simple Authorization

PropertyValue
atlas.authorizer.implsimple
atlas.auth.policy.file{{conf_dir}}/policy-store.txt

The policy-store.txt file has the following format:

Policy_Name;;User_Name:Operations_Allowed;;Group_Name:Operations_Allowed;;Resource_Type:Resource_Name

For example:

adminPolicy;;admin:rwud;;ROLE_ADMIN:rwud;;type:*,entity:*,operation:*,taxonomy:*,term:*
userReadPolicy;;readUser1:r,readUser2:r;;DATA_SCIENTIST:r;;type:*,entity:*,operation:*,taxonomy:*,term:*
userWritePolicy;;writeUser1:rwu,writeUser2:rwu;;BUSINESS_GROUP:rwu,DATA_STEWARD:rwud;;type:*,entity:*,operation:*,taxonomy:*,term:*

In this example readUser1, readUser2, writeUser1 and writeUser2 are the user IDs, each with its corresponding access rights. The User_Name, Group_Name and Operations_Allowed are comma-separated lists.

Authorizer Resource Types:

• Operation
  • Type
  • Entity
  • Taxonomy
  • Term
  • Unknown

Operations_Allowed are r = read, w = write, u = update, d = delete

Let me know if you have Ranger enabled in your cluster, different operations would be needed for Ranger authorization.

Contributor

@Ethan Hsieh Just as @Ayub Pathan's explanation you will be able to assign users with permissions if you add the user into policy-store.txt

adminPolicy;;admin:rwud,zte:rwud;;ROLE_ADMIN:rwud;;type:*,entity:*,operation:*,taxonomy:*,term:*

or you should be able add user with different roles into users-credentials.properties by adding entries like below

zte=ROLE_ADMIN::8d969eef6ecad3c29a3a629280e686cf0c3f5d5a86aff3ca12020c923adc6c92
testuser=DATA_SCIENTIST::8d969eef6ecad3c29a3a629280e686cf0c3f5d5a86aff3ca12020c923adc6c92

New Contributor

Hello @Ayub Khan

I am trying to add custom policy like

dataAnalyistPolicy;;;;DATA_ANALYST:r;;type:*,entity:contents,taxonomy:*,term:*

I am assuming that if I mention specific type or entity or term it will allow to perform set actions to a particular. I have tried mentioning entity:content but it block all operations. Can you guide on this.

Thanks,

Expert Contributor

@Naseem Rafique, you have to specify * for Atlas 0.8, granular level authorization in pipeline.

New Contributor

@Nixon Rodrigues

You mean currently I can only specify * I can't authorize a user to access to a specific type right?

Version I am using is apache-atlas-0.9-incubating-SNAPSHOT.

Expert Contributor

Yes, it will allow all (*) or none.

New Contributor

Hi, How do we solve this while using Ranger. I gave the Read access however it shows the same issue.

Expert Contributor

@Varun Nemmani , Please follow this documentation regarding setting up atlas ranger policies.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RANGER/ATLAS+Plugin

New Contributor

Hi Nixon,

Thanks. Yes the relevant permissions for Read are given on all the ATLAS policies. However the user gets the error in the UI.

Regards,

Varun