Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to solve "Connection refused " errors in HDP

Expert Contributor

I have been working on Hortonworks Sandbox. The Sandbox is deployed on CentOS 6.7 server. I was, at some point in time, able to access the Web UIs on my browser from remote PC. But most of the services are not accessible except the welcome page on port 8888. When I try to start the services with command line in PuTTY, no success! That is, the services are not running. When I run this command, netstat -nltu , I can't see the service ports in the list of listening ports. How can I make the ports listen for TCP connection. Any walk through on configuration of iptables and port forwarding would also be highly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

The problem with PostgreSQL is now solved. error log from /var/lib/pgsql/pgstartup.log says:

"Starting PostgreSQL FATAL: could not create lock file "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": Permission denied"

Resolution:

As root user type "chmod 1777 /tmp"in terminal.

PostgreSQL will now start successfully.

> service postgresql start

Cause:

Postgres cannot write a file to /tmp because of permissions set on /tmp directory.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Master Mentor

@Kibrom Gebrehiwot

Start ambari server

Use ambari to start services

Port 8080

Master Mentor

Command

ambari-server start

Expert Contributor

@Neeraj Sabharwal

Ambari server can't start at all!

Master Mentor

@Kibrom Gebrehiwot you probably shut down the machine abruptly. SSH to the machine, issue shutdown now -r and hope everything comes back. If it doesn't, SSH again, issue "ambari-server start", login to web UI by going to 127.0.0.1:8080 user:admin pass:admin, start services manually. If still doesn't work, import a new sandbox and start from scratch.

Master Mentor

@Kibrom Gebrehiwot

Grab Artem Ervits answer

Expert Contributor

Thanks @Artem Ervits for your prompt response! I am able to start the ambari server by issuing the command 'ambari-server start' now. But I can't still open Ambari on the browser from my Windows PC. http://<server-name>:8080 shows error: " ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED". How can I add the HDP service ports to the list of listening ports? I think the issue could be related to port forwarding. How can I forward HDP service ports so that I can access the services from remote machine?

telnet-connection-refused.pnglist-of-listening-ports.png

Expert Contributor

Note: I am working on a network protected by firewall. My Local PC and the remote Sandbox Host are on the same LAN. I am remotely accessing the Sandbox Host (deployed onCentOS ) from my Window PC using PuTTY.

Master Mentor

@Kibrom Gebrehiwot port forwarding is available in network properties of your hypervisor.

Expert Contributor

@Artem Ervits The Sandbox is deployed on CentOS server (base OS) not on virtual machine. I have no GUI access to the server. I can access it only with PuTTY (remotely).