Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to specify multiple fencing methods in dfs.ha.fencing.methods

Master Guru

This is new question based on answers provided at https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/23046/question-on-hdfs-automatic-failover.html

Question - If I need to define multiple fencing methods in dfs.ha.fencing.methods (hdfs-site.xml), how should I do that? Is that even possible? I tried putting comma separated values, semi colon separated, colon separated but nothing worked(I got parsing error in ZKFC logs)

Please suggest.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

Nevermind! I have figured out the problem.

Many Thanks to @Hajime and @Sagar Shimpi for helping me here.

To add multiple fencing methods we need to run below command from Ambari Server

/var/lib/ambari-server/resources/scripts/configs.sh -u admin -p admin set <ambari-host> <cluster-name> hdfs-site dfs.ha.fencing.methods  "sshfence\\nshell(/bin/true)"

I think this is a bug with Ambari, I will make sure to file a Ambari BUG for this today.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Master Guru

More info - according to this link, value of dfs.ha.fencing.methods shows 2 fencing methods, each one is on new line. I believe we cannot enter it using ambari UI. Not sure if that link has valid and verified information.

https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.7.1/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/HDFSHighAvailabilityWithQJM.ht...

According to above link, it seems it accepts carriage-return-separated list.

Master Guru

Thanks @Hajime - It was a real hint for solving this issue

Master Guru

Nevermind! I have figured out the problem.

Many Thanks to @Hajime and @Sagar Shimpi for helping me here.

To add multiple fencing methods we need to run below command from Ambari Server

/var/lib/ambari-server/resources/scripts/configs.sh -u admin -p admin set <ambari-host> <cluster-name> hdfs-site dfs.ha.fencing.methods  "sshfence\\nshell(/bin/true)"

I think this is a bug with Ambari, I will make sure to file a Ambari BUG for this today.