Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to troubleshoot creation of default service instance in Ranger?

Expert Contributor

I have a cluster that did not create a default service instance for HDFS in Ranger. On others, a service instance was created when I enabled the HDFS plugin and restarted services in Ambari.

I can't find anything in the Ambari Server logs or Ranger logs hinting that communication between them failed.

Where should this be logged? Do I need to turn on debug logging for that service?

(I'm using Ambari 2.4 / HDP 2.5 / Ranger 0.6)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Usually there will be some output in Ambari UI console. Check in the output of HDFS service start.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Usually there will be some output in Ambari UI console. Check in the output of HDFS service start.

Expert Contributor

Thank you, I was able to find it on a system with successful creation. This helped me very much. In the "Restart NameNode" in restarting HDFS services after changing the plugin setting to Enabled.

2016-10-07 08:38:32,458 - Ambari admin user creation successful.
2016-10-07 08:38:33,148 - Repository created Successfully
2016-10-07 08:38:33,148 - Hdfs Repository created in Ranger admin
2016-10-07 08:38:33,149 - File['/usr/hdp/current/hadoop-client/conf/ranger-security.xml'] {'content': InlineTemplate(...), 'owner': 'hdfs', 'group': 'hadoop', 'mode': 0644}

Expert Contributor

Thanks for pointing to more information. I'm going to accept vperiasamy's answer.

Expert Contributor

Please check the following property on HDFS Config to see if the Ranger Hook is enabled.

dfs.namenode.inode.attributes.provider.class=org.apache.ranger.authorization.hadoop.RangerHdfsAuthorizer