Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to upload a CSV file to HIVE?

Explorer

Hi

I have only just begun to learn HIVE. I am trying to upload a CSV file. However it does not look correct in Ambari view, please see screen shot attached. I cannot set up my columns as the data does not look to be separating correctly.

Have I missed a step or done something wrong? I have field delimiter set a ",".

pic8.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@Matt

In the Hive View if you click on the "Settings" button just at the right side of "File Type" field then you should see more options to select the delimiter.

45760-hive-view-filetype-setting.png

45761-hive-view-adv-filetype-setting.png

You will need to check your file to findout if it has any special characters? Or if the Data Delimiter is choosen correctly or not?

Also please check different File Editiors like "vi" editor or "vim" or some other tools to see if your File contains any hidden character.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Master Mentor

@Matt

In the Hive View if you click on the "Settings" button just at the right side of "File Type" field then you should see more options to select the delimiter.

45760-hive-view-filetype-setting.png

45761-hive-view-adv-filetype-setting.png

You will need to check your file to findout if it has any special characters? Or if the Data Delimiter is choosen correctly or not?

Also please check different File Editiors like "vi" editor or "vim" or some other tools to see if your File contains any hidden character.

Explorer

thank you. I was following this procedure however there was an error in my csv file. For some reason I needed to resave it again as csv.