Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How we would go about configuring the number of HBase snapshots that are saved? Is there a purge process or setting?

Super Collaborator

How we would go about configuring the number of HBase snapshots that are saved? Is there a purge process or setting?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@Saumil Mayani it's not an automatic process, you generate a snapshot and delete one manually issuing a command in hbase shell. You can script it and pass to hbase shell, I should be able to help you do that offline, I believe you can also write a Java program to automate it but I have to double check. It is not recommended to keep too many snapshots and recommend you purge them short after using.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Master Mentor

@Saumil Mayani it's not an automatic process, you generate a snapshot and delete one manually issuing a command in hbase shell. You can script it and pass to hbase shell, I should be able to help you do that offline, I believe you can also write a Java program to automate it but I have to double check. It is not recommended to keep too many snapshots and recommend you purge them short after using.

Guru

@Artem Ervits is right. There is no purge of snapshots by design. Snapshots are used for referring to data at a later time. Taking a snapshot and keeping a snapshot is an explicit decision that depends only on operations. HBase in no case will delete a snapshot without an explicit command.