Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

I have HDP 2.4 installed on a cluster of RedHat 6.5 servers with python 2.6 installed. Can I install python 2.7 also on this cluster ?

New Contributor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@David Whoitmore

Yes, you can install an alternative version of Python. You will need to install it in a non-system location (leave 2.6 in place and put 2.7 in a new home). Many of the HDP components rely on Python and require v2.6 in the standard place on RedHat 6 in order to work properly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@David Whoitmore

Yes, you can install an alternative version of Python. You will need to install it in a non-system location (leave 2.6 in place and put 2.7 in a new home). Many of the HDP components rely on Python and require v2.6 in the standard place on RedHat 6 in order to work properly.

Master Guru

@David Whitmore I would enable virtualenv which will allow you to install n many versions of python. This will isolate your dev environment.

Super Guru

I had no issues using Anaconda as my development python on my production cluster. Just be sure to install it in a separate location and don't overwrite the standard OS install of Python.